Stembridge Movie TSMG

I'm looking to get a Thompson. I've done a lot of reading on this board and other internet sites. A lot to learn. Are the Stembridge guns posted on Gunbroker worth considering? What has bee done to them? Are they still C&R eligible?

I'm looking more for a shooter, than a collector gun. But don't want junk either.

Thanks, Vince

I'm looking to get a Thompson. I've done a lot of reading on this board and other internet sites. A lot to learn. Are the Stembridge guns posted on Gunbroker worth considering? What has bee done to them? Are they still C&R eligible?

I'm looking more for a shooter, than a collector gun. But don't want junk either.

Thanks, Vince

Vince,

If a good shooter is what you want the main thing to focus on is the receiver. 1928A1 parts kits are still available although the price keeps rising. With such a kit, everything on the gun can be replaced except the receiver.

The first thing to beware of is a remanufactured,(rewelded), receiver.

Next thing to avoid is a unsightly appearance , pitted, pitted and buffed etc.

Lastly check the hole at the rear of the receiver that houses the trigger frame lock. With a lot of use this hole can become egg shaped, allowing the trigger frame to move back and forth. This can be repaired but will be an expense.

Naturally the more parts that need replacing , the cheaper you should try to buy the gun for.

Lastly a bluing or Parkerizing job, with out polishing can be done to make the gun look like new.

Jim C

PS the Stembridge gun appears OK at first glance. Seller was nice enough to state the reserve price. At $15,000.00 it would probably be a excellent buy.

Edited by jim c 351

Not so sure this is really one of the former Stembridge Gun Rentals Thompsons. Most of the older Stembridge guns were, in fact Colt, guns modified for the war movies of the 1940's and 1950's to look like military 1928 Model guns. Stembridge did have several 1928A1 Thomspons they used also. I'm pretty sure Gordon Herigstad has all the serial numbers of the former Stembridge guns. It would be interesting to see if this is one of them. I think, from a collectors standpoint, the gun would have been worth more in original condition, if it really is one of the Stembridge guns, that the complete makeover done to the gun listed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm will be getting a 1928/A1 gun. I want it to be able to use drums. I've looked at the West Hurley guns and I know that they are ok guns. But I want a AO Bridgeport or Savage gun.

There had been a 1928 lend lease gun on GB recently. It didn't sell at $15,000 and had been relished. But then it closed. Someone must have made a deal with the seller. It looked pretty good from the pics, but I'm not informed enough yet to know if it was a decent gun, or what price range is good for a mismatched gun like that. I will keep looking up information.

I'm going to the Show Of Shows in Louisville, the end of February. Are there any forum members that go? It would be good to talk to some knowledgeable.

There is a SOT in the Kansas City area, that has a 1928A1 Savage that I looked at. It's a sample gun, but great to look at. Gives me some prospective to compare to others. I kind of want to buy from a reputable dealer or someone that is known of buy some trusted people. Sending that kind of money to an unknown person from an auction site is a little unnerving. I have bought P38s and Lugers from GB. But this is different.

I have NFA stuff now. AC556, suppressor, SBR. So the NFA process is nothing new to me. And I have a C&R, so hopefully I won't have to do SOT transfers.

Any more info that you knowledgeable gentlemen can add will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not bad for a "shooter" grade Thompson.

It all depends on your objective.

If you plan on using it as a shooter than go for it. Maybe even offer a bit less after the auction if it doesn't sell.

You would save some money and the seller would also save money.

If you plan on just looking at it they pay extra for one at least with the proper parts.

Take the Stembridge gun and figure another $2K in a good parts kit, drum or two, and with some careful swapping around you can make it a nice WWII gun. And if verified as a Stembridge gun like GIJive says from Gordon H, it will have that history with it too.

Good starter gun especially if it can be had at the right price.

Here are the Stembridge Thompsons by inventory number. One would have to contact LMO for serial number verification. Several have been refinished by now, so the descriptions are about as up to date as the prices.

N816 1921 THOMPSON COLT LIVE - HORIZONTAL FRONT GRIP REPLACED - 28A1 BUTTSTOCK - ORIG FINISH - FINNED BBL - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH HAS SLIGHT WEAR ON EDGES $8,500

N818 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED -WOOD IS ROUGH - ORIG FINISH - FINNED BBL IS A REPLACEMENT BBL - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH IS 80% $8,000

N819 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - WOOD IS ROUGH - ORIG FINISH - FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPLACED FOR BLANKED - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH IS REBLUED 85% $8,000

N821 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - HORIZONTAL FOREND - REBLUED - FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPLACED AND BLANKED - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH IS 80% - SCRATCHES ON UPPER SURFACE - SERIAL # IS ETCHED ON BOTTOM OF TRIGGER GUARD $7,800

N822 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - VERTICAL FRONT GRIP - WOOD IS ROUGH -REBLUED - FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPLACED AND BLANKED - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH IS 80% $8,000

N823 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - VERTICAL FRONT GRIP REPLACED -REBLUED- FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPLACED & BLANKED - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH IS 90% $8,000

N824 1921 THOMPSON COLT LIVE - VERTICAL FRONT GRIP - BUTTSTOCK ROUGH - ORIG FINISH - FINNED BBL - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH HAS SLIGHT WEAR ON EDGES - MINOR SCRATCH UNDER SERIAL # $9,000

N825 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED -HORIZONTAL FOREND - REBLUED - FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPLACED AND BLANKED - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER AND BUTTSTOCK IS NUMBERED TO GUN - FINISH IS 90% $8,300

N826 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - VERTICAL FRONT GRIP REPLACED -REBLUED - FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPACED FOR BLANKING - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH IS 80% $7,800

N827 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - VERTICAL FRONT GRIP REPLACED -WOOD IS ROUCH - REBLUED - FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPLACED FOR BLANKING - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH HAS SLIGHT WEAR ON EDGES - 95% FINISH $8,000

N828 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - VERTICAL FRONT GRIP REPLACED - WOOD IS ROUGH - GREY GUN - ORIG FINISH ON RECEIVER IS WORN OFF - FINNED BBL HAS BEEN REPLACED AND BLANKED - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - CUTTS COMPENSATOR ROUGH - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER $7,500

N829 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - NO FOREND - WOOD IS ROUGH - REBLUED - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINNED BBL REPLACED AND BLANKED - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH HAS SLIGHT SCRATCHES $8,000

N830 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - NO FOREND - REBLUED - FINNED BBL REPLACED FOR BLANKING - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH 90% - NO COMPENSATOR $8,200

N831 1921 THOMPSON COLT BLANKED - HORIZONTAL FRONT GRIP - REBLUED - FINNED BBL REPLACED FOR BLANKING - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH HAS SLIGHT WEAR ON EDGES - CUTTS COMPENSATOR $8,300

N833 1921 THOMPSON COLT LIVE - HORIZONTAL FOREND- BUTTSTOCK NOT ORIG TO THIS GUN - ORIG FINISH - FINNED BBL - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING UPPER AND LOWER - FINISH 96% $8,800

N815 1921/28 NAVY COLT FINN BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - MATCHING LOWER - VERTICAL FOREND - JHB RIGHT SIDE - FINISH IS 96% - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - LIVE - REPLACED BUTTSTOCK $9,000

N254 1928 BAR CARL GUSTAFS-STADS ORIG BLUING -LIVE- MISSING FRONT SIGHT- ORIG BUTTSTOCK AND FOREND - BUTTSTOCK CRACKED REBBLED TO 30 CAL $7,800

N255 1928 BAR CARL GUSTAFS-STADS TRANSFERED IN 1958 -ORIG BLUING -BLANKED - BBLED RECEIVER ONLY $7,500

N623 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT REBLUED 1928 A1 THOMPSON - REBARRELED - BLANKED - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - MATCHING NUMBER LOWER - NEW VERTICAL FOREGRIP - NO RECOIL SPRING $4,800

N835 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - MISMATCHED NUMBERS - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR $5,200

N836 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - MATCHING NUMBERS - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR $5,400

N838 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - NO NUMBER ON LOWER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR $5,200

N839 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - US & A1 ARE GROUND OFF - REMARKED AC $4,600

N841 1928A1 SAVAGE BLANKED - BLUED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 28A1 $4,600

N843 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT BLANKED - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - NO COMPENSATOR - GREY GUN - US & A1 ARE GROUND OFF - REMARKED AC $4,400

N844 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS NOT MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT -SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N845 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS NOT MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N849 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT BLANKED - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - US & A1 ARE GROUND OFF AND REPLACED W/ AC $4,500

N850 1928A1 SAVAGE BLANKED - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N851 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MISMATCHED - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,800

N852 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N853 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N854 1928A1 SAVAGE LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,800

N855 1928A1 SAVAGE LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N856 1928A1 SAVAGE LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 - PISTOL GRIP IS PAINTED AND CHIPPED $4,600

N857 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND IS CRACKED - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N861 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS NOT MATCHING NUMBER - HORIZONTAL FOREND - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 $4,600

N863 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT BLANKED - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS NOT MATCHING NUMBER - FIXED REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - NO COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - US AND A1 MARKING IS REMOVED AND MARKED AC -NO FOREND $4,500

N864 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT LIVE - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - FIXED REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - NO COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - US AND A1 MARKING IS REMOVED AND MARKED AC -NO FOREND $4,600

N865 1928A1 SAVAGE BLANKED - PARKERIZED UPPER AND LOWER - LOWER IS NOT MATCHING NUMBER - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - NO COMPENSATOR - FINISH IS WORN - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 -NO FOREND $4,600

N867 1928A1 SAVAGE BLANKED - GREY GUN - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - NO COMPENSATOR - WOOD IS ROUCH - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 - VERTICAL FOREGRIP $4,600

N872 1928A1 SAVAGE BLANKED - GREY GUN - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - WOOD IS ROUCH - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 - VERTICAL FOREGRIP HAS BEEN REPLACED AND HAS 4 SCREW HOLES IN IT. $4,600

N873 1928A1 SAVAGE BLANKED - GREY GUN - LOWER IS NOT MATCHING NUMBER - LYMAN REAR SIGHT - FINNED BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR -WOOD IS ROUCH - MARKED US MODEL OF 1928A1 - VERTICAL FOREGRIP $4,600

N876 1928A1 AO BRIDGEPORT BLANKED -GREY GUN - LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER - FIXED REAR SIGHT - SMOOTH BBL - CUTTS COMPENSATOR - WOOD IS ROUCH - US & A1 HAVE BEEN REMOVED - MARKED AC - VERTICAL FOREGRIP $4,600

For those interested in reading about Stembridge from the olden days, there is a good article from 1969 A.D. published in a real man's magazine, "True". Not safe for today's "pyjama boys." The article can be found at this website: http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/true-magazine-stembridge-article.pdf

Back then a "pyjama boy" was a "Charlie" deserving of some fire rain.

Drive on...

For those interested in reading about Stembridge from the olden days, there is a good article from 1969 A.D. published in a real man's magazine, "True". Not safe for today's "pyjama boys." The article can be found at this website: http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/true-magazine-stembridge-article.pdf

Back then a "pyjama boy" was a "Charlie" deserving of some fire rain.

Drive on...

Here is another Stembridge article for the really old folks who are still waiting for their twin-prop gyroscope monorail car. It was published in the February 1934 issue of “Modern Mechanix and Inventions”.

http://www.originalprop.com/public_html/stembridge/ModernMechanix.pdf

Great articles, thanks for sharing.

Particularly liked the account regarding the loaning of weapons on Dec. 7, 1941.

Just got Tracie Hills Ultimate Thompson book delivered today. I'll be doing a lot of reading for awhile. That Stembridge gun is not bad. The reserve is $15000. I'll keep looking for something that will need less work. David Spiwak has a nice looking late war parked gun on his site.