GB 1928AC

Unless you want to dump a bunch of money in the pit after buying it to end up with a refinished thompson for that kind of money , With used car salesman oil all over it, I would keep looking . There a re a lot of nice guns coming out of the wood work these days, as guys who bought them 20 years ago move on. The whole baby boomer generation is starting to pass on their guns - just look at some of the auctions lately.

mgvince,

Welcome to the board.

I have found over the years the costs involved to restore any firearm usually exceeds the value of finding one in original condition. And what you end up with is a restored firearm that will usually be valued less than an original piece. If I had $17,500 to spend on a Thompson gun I would shop around.

If someone wanted a shooter grade Thompson and did not mind the nickel finish, this may be a good Thompson to have if the price were extremely cheap. Before you consider anything, you have to understand it is an "AC" variation, not a WWII government issue Thompson gun. Start there and I am sure you will come to the right decision.

Good luck!