Apex Gun Parts has Original Sten Mk II Bayonets Available

I wonder if the expert took out a tape measure?

If Graham Priest has blessed these as believed originals, you won't find a better source on Commonwealth bayonets unless you find someone who made these in the factory. This endorsement alone probably just tipped me over the edge on buying one. If you're not familiar with bayonet collecting I would suggest you do some searching on his works....

- Ron

Upon closer inspection, my bayonet also has "B. & J.S. Ltd." marked in the middle of the spring, and has a "1" stamped on the spike itself.

I'd like to collect data from others who have purchased these bayonets, and perhaps from Apex directly. If you have one, please provide the following information:

What is the maker's mark?

Is it marked on the handle and the spring?

Is it marked with any other letters on the handle?

Does it have a mark on the spike?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

OK, upon even closer inspection, mine has an "S41" marking on it, and also what is probably a very faint broad arrow mark. The "S41" had gunk on it, and I missed it during my earlier inspection. "S41" is supposed to be the dispersal code for Grundy Ltd. The "1" on the spike can also be read as a lower case "L," which jives with what worldbayonets.com indicates should be seen. The lower case "L" marking apparently indicates manufacture by Laspee Engineering Co. of Isleworth. Apparently Sippel manufactured the sheet metal parts, Laspee made the spikes, and Grundy assembled the bayonets, according to worldbayonets.com.

Does anyone have the Graham Priest book?

So we definitely know a lot more about these since the thread started. If anyone has information to dispute what I have put forth so far, please offer up your dissenting opinion.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Sorry for the trail of follow-up posts, but this subject has intrigued me today...

I went to my bayonet books to see what information they provided. Kiesling confirms the markings on my example. Janzen defers to Kiesling, because he says the bayonet is rare, and the example in his collection was a reproduction.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

No need,

I know nothing about bayonets other than they are accy. for some of my MG's. I know a lot about manufacturing, arms importers, importation, metallurgy, and finishes. I did get one of these a few months ago. Mine is marked exactly as David's is. My other one I got 10 years ago is marked very similar including the B&J.S.Ltd and a different makers mark the tube. I find the whole discussion very interesting though.