Converted Westy Hurley for sale

Couple of questions:

First:

Using an M1 bolt (no Blish Lock) and M1 buffer in a Hurley 28 seems like a severe test of receiver strength.

Doug Richardson states this setup should only be used with blanks.

Does anyone have any long term experience using this system with real ammo, and did any receiver cracks occur?

Second:

There is a post of Subguns listing this ad as Fradulent. Anyone know any more about this?

I saw that (second question) which prompted me to look back at this thread:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=24178&query=retrieval

This happened to me as well (fraudulent ad) when I sold my MK760. Two other ads sprung up and my pictures were on the ads, taken straight from Gunbroker where I'd listed it.

Couple of questions:First:Using an M1 bolt (no Blish Lock) and M1 buffer in a Hurley 28 seems like a severe test of receiver strength.Doug Richardson states this setup should only be used with blanks.Does anyone have any long term experience using this system with real ammo, and did any receiver cracks occur?

I think Doug is referring to the standard 1921/1928 full height, full auto receiver back ends being thin which necessitate the blish action.

The semi auto, 1/10" shorter receivers are machined differently at the rear which results in a little more material in that area.

That is my understanding of the two.

TC

Couple of questions:First:Using an M1 bolt (no Blish Lock) and M1 buffer in a Hurley 28 seems like a severe test of receiver strength.Doug Richardson states this setup should only be used with blanks.Does anyone have any long term experience using this system with real ammo, and did any receiver cracks occur?

I think Doug is referring to the standard 1921/1928 full height, full auto receiver back ends being thin which necessitate the blish action.

The semi auto, 1/10" shorter receivers are machined differently at the rear which results in a little more material in that area.

That is my understanding of the two.

TC

Hmm, good point. I hadn't considered the semi's lack of cutouts for the bolt oiler; that should add some reinforcement.

It can only help, even if it is still not as strong as the M1's massive solid rear end.

I'd still want a neoprene buffer, no matter what else was in the mix.

Unless, maybe Sons of Guns is busy blending a Thompson and a Pogo stick into a new super gun at this moment.

I don't think they've done that yet.

Edited by mnshooter

I have been super busy and was unable to check out the post and to my amazment there was a mix up, apparently the scammer listed his last name first just like me, a habit of being in the military....The gentleman at subguns was really apologetic and I cannot blame him for erring on the side of caution....he fixed it....

Edited by airborne118

Mnshooter,

I share your concerns. It appears that the additional material normally found in the rear of a 1927a1 semi has been removed to allow for the full stroke of a FA and has been chamfered out (why?)similar to a 1928a1. Also the bolt is now about 8% lighter than an M1 bolt probably with a higher rate of fire. I would also doubt that the receiver steel is heat treated for strength as were the originals or a modern grade of alloy steel such as 4130/4140 was used.

Doubt we will ever know, but it would be interesting if there have been any long term issues with this type of conversion. I imagine they are very rare.

Joe

2014-05-29_1018 (2).jpg

Edited by Joe H