Thompson used by French

Sir,

A friend of mine is doing some research on a 1921 thompson in a museum in France. It is a early serial number (5771) and fitted with the French berthier rifle slings. Could anyone help with some information about it? This specific piece is before the contract. Was it a pre-order or test trial of some kind? Again any information?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

The Colt Thompson to which you refer is probably one of 3000 purchased by the French in 1939. The French affixed Berthier sling swivels to them, because they were available and expedient. Do you have a picture of it? Why do you think it was before the contract? I'll check my records to see if I have this serial number recorded in any earlier trials.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I brushed up on my French Colt Thompson history by reviewing an article I wrote in 2006 for SAR. Colt #5771 could be one of the Thompsons evaluated in 1924 by the CEV (Commission D'Experiences de Versailles), however I don't have their serial numbers. The 2 Thompsons that were pulled from the batch of 3000 for additional accuracy tests in 1939 were serial numbers 10171 and 10384.

The reason I think that #5771 could be part of the 1939 order of 3000 is the presence of Berthier sling swivels. Then again, any Thompson in inventory at the time the 3000 arrived could have also had Berthier sling swivels added.

If you can find out more from your friend about any history that is known about this Thompson in the museum, that would be great. Can you tell us which museum has it? Do you happen to have a photo of the serial number, or the caption in the display?

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Here are the photos of #5771. I sent the information to Gordon, but he says it's too late for the latest Colt Thompson Serial Numbers book update.

I'm sure there are many more surviving Colts that have not been documented yet.

P11001511.JPG

Berthier sling swivels are shown in the following 2 photos:

P11001521.JPGP11001531.JPG

P11001541.JPGP11001551.JPGP11001581.JPGP11001591.JPGP11001611.JPG

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...

I own some Colt furniture that has the Berthier sling swivels attached exactly as shown in the photos above.

The wood and swivels were included with a Colt trigger frame.

I'm interested in the leather sling as depicted.

Does anyone know what it is?

I'm interested in purchasing one.

Thanks,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

I own some Colt furniture that has the Berthier sling swivels attached exactly as shown in the photos above.

Thanks,

Darryl

Darryl,

What was the trigger framer serial number? The donor Colt was almost certainly a former French TSMG.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks,

Darryl

Darryl,

I believe that is also a Berthier sling. Probably get one for a Berthier carbine, if they are different from the rifle.

- Ron

David,

The frame's serial number is 9639. It was a complete Colt frame that I bought

to augment a Colt-NAC gun with non Colt internals I recently bought, NAC-#9.

I think it was sold by JC Earl to either the Virginia or West Virginia State Patrol Dept. in the 50's.

I'm waiting on a FOIA responce that I will most likely have to appeal to get the desied information. :-)

The French connection is interesting, It was an lucky Ebay purchase.

Thanks for lead TC!

Darryl