Form 4 - delay in mailing?

Gunslinger

I received a call from my dealer yesterday, December 11, to say that they have received the tax stamp for an SBR that we had been waiting for. When I got the stamped form home, the approval date that was stamped on the form was November 4th so it arrived here five weeks after it was approved.

My question is whether it's possible for five weeks to pass between the approval date and the date it arrives at the dealer. Does it take that long for the BATF to actually mail stuff out or did my dealer sit on the stamp for awhile before calling me? I don't know why my dealer would do that but then, I can't imagine it taking five weeks to mail out a tax stamp after it's been approved.

Has anyone else experienced such a long time between approval and receipt of the document?

Thanks

I had a similar situation. Dealer claimed they called "as soon as stamp as received" but even if they only mailed once a week it would not take five weeks. I have no faith in this dealer and would never use them again due to two issues on two transfers 0 for 2 does not a good dealer make.

If aft would like more a little money on each transfer offer ups shipping of forms for an additional $25 sure would be nice.

Ron

fwiw, in recent years, it is not uncommon for there to be up to a month delay from the stamp approval

date to actual mailing of the stamp. The long delays seem specific to some examiners. Perhaps

they are working out of home for extended periods of time...

Look up the examiner on the stamp here

http://www.nfatracker.com/reports.aspx

to see how long they typically take to mail them...

Same thing happened to me. I called to check status, atf said it was approved a month before. I called the dealer, left a message, they returned the call saying it just arrived. They should have hid the envelope, because it was dated 3 days after approval. They received it, and never called.

Not uncommon for forms to sit before being mailed. I just got one back the other day that sat for over a week. A month is extreme but not unheard of.

Some dealers are lazy, some just don't care if stuff sits around? The smarter guys get the stuff out ASAP so their insurance doesn't have to cover it.......oh, wait, most of the guys don't have insurance while your stuff sits in their inventory.......be careful, you could be in for a total loss with these dealers/ mfr's. ASK before you set up a transfer who's covering it while it sits if insurance is your thing. If you wing it like I do, then just pick a guy with good references or ask on Sturm for references. I have one deal pending with a questionable seller/dealer, but I paid less accordingly since I expect issues, but I am 100% sure I'll get the gun one way or another.

Course you don't want to be audited with stuff transferred to someone else more than a couple weeks old. ATF also frowns on this practice. Again some guys don't care and will eventually be out the business be it through customer atrophy or forced by ATF. I just picked some stuff up that sat for a month and the guy wanted a statement from me stating It was my issue, not his that delayed transfer......this is the sign of a good dealer, course he had stellar references before I set all this in motion. HTH

The BATF mailed my stamp three times to the class III dealer for my SBR with no postage and twice it was returned to the offices in D.C. On the third attempt the Post Office delivered it anyway, but this evolution added six weeks to my eight month waiting period. I don't know if serious brain death is that rampant in the ATF or wether they were just jacking me around. Could be both.