Bump Firing A 1927A1?

I just picked up a used AO 1927A1 and will send in my paperwork to SBR it soon. I have a VZ61 Scorpion SBR that bump fires from the shoulder like crazy. Figured I might as well use the Tommy Gun the way it was designed. Just wanted to know if anyone has mastered bump firing one from the shoulder?

As well as the high inertial forces of the Thompson due to its mass, the normal Thompson trigger pull is rather heavy. I'd think one would have to do a good deal of lightening to be able to perform reliable, sustained bump fire. Sort of like having to use a 2# or less trigger pull on a .22 LR bump fire stock firearm to get reliable, sustained bump fire.

I can bump my little VZ61 Scorpion SBR on demand from the shoulder at about 500rpm, I would guess. I am determined to learn to do it with my 27A1. Just wondering if anyone has tips on the best way to do it. I will start with the technique I use with the VZ61.

I can bump fire my FAL & my AR15 using the thumb in the belt loop method

However I agree with the others, the trigger pull on my Thompson is so heavy, and the recoil so light, I'm not sure it will bump fire

Guess I'll have to try now :-|

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's all in the "Pull" of the front stock and just resting the finger on the trigger, but, I agree the trigger is too heavy. I see a trigger job in the near future of mine. Need to find someone that sells the lighter springs?

Notice too that the buttstock's been removed, that'll drop some weight, making recoil more pronounced and thus easier to "do the bump". And the barrel seems short for a semi. It could be the 13" barrel that came on the "pistol" model of the Thompson, if that's what he's shooting (and would explain the absence of the buttstock). Either way, it reduces the weight further (compared to the 16" barrel).

Notice too that the buttstock's been removed, that'll drop some weight, making recoil more pronounced and thus easier to "do the bump". And the barrel seems short for a semi. It could be the 13" barrel that came on the "pistol" model of the Thompson, if that's what he's shooting (and would explain the absence of the buttstock). Either way, it reduces the weight further (compared to the 16" barrel).

Yeah, good catch. No compensator and I could not make out a stock mounting lug. Very likely a pistol, which also means it has a 10.5" barrel (the old version had a 13" barrel and vertical foregrip) and the aluminum (lighter weight) frame.

ETA: Auto Ord shows the pistol weight at 5# 14.5 oz v. 13# for the steel framed ( 9.5# for Al) 27A1.

EETA: I'm not sure about whether the AO numbers are direct comparisons. I weighed my steel framed 27A1 using a "not legal for use in trade" fish scale and it was something over 10# w/o mag and around 12+# with a full 30 rnd stick mag. And FWIW, using a trigger scale, the trigger pull came in at 8#.

Edited by Merry Ploughboy