1921 Colt Thompsons Dates of Mfg?

New member here, 1st just like to say great forum, lots of info and easy to use. I was wondering if their is any info on dates of mfg for the colt 1921 thompsons. I see colt does not have them listed in there archives and was wondering if there would be another source.

In general terms, according to TUTB, production model 1921 Thompsons, serial numbers 41-15040 were all produced in one production run from approximately March 1921 through July 1922. Keep in mind that this production run of guns did not completely sell until the late 1930's, and all guns were originally 1921 A type with ring sight since the comp was not developed yet.

I know of one gun, 423 that never shipped from Colt to Auto Ordnance, there may be more that never were delivered but I only know of that one for certain. I have barrel 423 in my collection.

Larry

Thanks specifically looking for info on #6946, the serial # had orignally been ground off then restamped. I have read about some 21 thompsons that had been confiscated on their way to the IRA. They had there numbers defaced but the feds put the numbers back on when they found the shipment and stopped it.

KR,

6946 has an interesting history.

Made during the week 11/1/1921 to 11/5/21.

Gun used in Mail Messenger robbery 1930 in Springfield , Ill..

Guns seized by Springfield PD. 1/2/30.

The IRA wasn't the only people into grinding serial numbers. The Capone mob also did some grinding.

How can you be sure the correct number was restamped??

Jim C

That's a great Colt!

Made right around first week Nov 1921.

What I have is that gun used in a mail robbery in Sprigfield Illinois 1930, seized by Springfield PD 1/2/30.

Do you have 6946?

If so would love to see pictures :)

Larry

• Upvote 1

There is a very detailed and lengthy chapter about the Irish Republican Army (IRA) Thompson guns in The Ultimate Thompson Book. While many of the serial numbers were defaced, the investigators were able to determine the numbers because of the assembly number stamped under the grip mount or on the end of the barrel (if visible from the chamber). And examples do exist where the numbers were not obliterated. I don't think I have ever seen an IRA Thompson that had the original serial number restamped on the receiver unless it happened prior to registration on the NFA Registry in the USA. Do you have an example of this.

All good stuff!!!

11/1 - 11/5, 21. Mail Messenger Robbery Thompson # 6946

Just a meesely mail robbery- Need an old fashioned bank robbery used gun.

Wow pretty cool, I recently purchased this gun. Just waiting for transfer approal to finish. When in my hands will get some good photos for you guys. Where were you able to find that info?

Gordon's book indicates the following for #6946:

21AC

Jack Onkin, Vigo County, Indiana, 1928

Prohibition charge LXII (quote), Jack Onkin, on or about July 12, 1928, sold and delivered one Thompson sub-machine gun number 6946 to Edward Allen O'Hara in Vigo County, Indiana.

One of four Thompsons seized by Springfield, Illinois police January 2, 1930. Serial numbers 4903, 4967. 5999, and 6946

You should think about getting copies of Gordon Herigstad's Colt Thompson Serial Numbers book, and also a copy of The Ultimate Thompson Book (TUTB) to go along with your new acquisition...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'd sure be putting some effort on the history/research of the gun, while you wait. Vigo County is where Terre Haute is located. Then you got a good Irish name O' Hare involved, relative to the research or not.

The Fed Pen is there where they fried Tim what's his name that blew up the place in OK. Nothing to do with your gun of course just more history.

Dillinger country in 33-34 of course.

Local libraries etc might dig up something ?

Good luck.