1928A1 Late Prod. 3rd Type Display/Replica/Dummy Thompson

I thought I would post pictures of my 1928A1, ending late type of production model, Display/Replica/Dummy Thompson, that I finished.

The stock has a late production stamped buttplate. It has a real 1914 No-Buckl sling. It's a aluminum display receiver. All the stock set is mint GI with original finish and markings. The front horizontal grip is marked "S" and the Lower receiver grip is marked "S" both being "Savage". The late cross bolt generation stock is stamped "M" on the back.

The rear "L" sight is a reproduction "L". I want to get a real "L" Lyman sight, the Lyman with the LYMAN name and address on it and replace the repo on it. If anyone has one you want to get rid of PM please.

I would like to get the Cutts Comp drilled and pinned for a more correct look. A good friend I met on the forum is going to help me out with it.

Enjoy your Sunday!

22 FEB 15 008.JPG

22 FEB 15 009.JPG

22 FEB 15 010.JPG

22 FEB 15 011.JPG

22 FEB 15 013.JPG

22 FEB 15 012.JPG

22 FEB 15 014.JPG

22 FEB 15 015.JPG

Edited by Kocapuff1

Looks very nice!

The "L" sight originally only had the word "Lyman" on it. There was not a different one with more in the way of markings. As repros go, this is probably as good as any.

Bob,

I believe what Kocapuff1 is referring to is the portion of the Buttplate that houses the Trap Door and it's Spring.

Externally the two Buttplate look identical but from the underside you can see the difference. The Springs are also different as are how they are mount.

The same change also to occurred to the M1 and M1A1 Buttplates.

Paul

TSMG Buttplate 01.JPGTSMG Buttplate 02.JPG

I don't think I have ever seen a stamped buttplate for a M1928A1 Thompson. Can you show a side view

and take it off the gun and show the underside? If its too much trouble I understand but I am curious...

Bob

I will take it off and take pictures when I get home today. We hour our sons Webelos Pine wood derby today. No problem to do for you.

Edited by Kocapuff1

Looks very nice!

The "L" sight originally only had the word "Lyman" on it. There was not a different one with more in the way of markings. As repros go, this is probably as good as any.

There is one version that has the address along with the "Lyman". It also has the stamped pattern surrounding the aperture.

Paul

TSMG L Sight 02.JPG

TSMG L Sight 03.JPG

TSMG L Sight 04.JPG

I don't think I have ever seen a stamped buttplate for a M1928A1 Thompson. Can you show a side view

and take it off the gun and show the underside? If its too much trouble I understand but I am curious...

Bob

I will take it off and take pictures wheni get home today. We hour our sons Webelos Pine wood derby today. No problem to do for you.

Check for the MFG code while you're at it. Underside near center. Should be S, A.O.C., or X. Thanks.

bug

PS How'd the Pinewood go??

Edited by bug

So if you had the screw protrude out the back of the buttplate ,would it be closer to a '21

Mark,

You are correct, but there are obvious differences between the Colt and 1928 buttplate. The stamped buttplate door does not have the protrusion in the back plate like the milled does. The Colt plates have the serial # inside and the "R" for Remington stamped inside. The colt butt plate protrusion pin is rounded where the military milled plate the pin is flat looking and ground flush. I will post a picture of a colt butt plate when I get home, that I received from a board member helping me out.

Edited by Kocapuff1

Looks very nice!

There is one version that has the address along with the "Lyman". It also has the stamped pattern surrounding the aperture.

Paul

Paul,

Great job on the pictures and elaborating on the butt plate and Lyman L sight differences. Thank you for sharing.

Looks very nice!

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for posting the photos, I was going to mention the sight with the Middlefield, Conn. address on it, but you beat me to the punch. My guess would be that these are the earlier sights originally put on the late 1928A1 Model, not to say that the M1 series guns didn't have them also. I am just basing this on observation of manufactured products over the years. Elaborate markings and productions values are usually found on ealier items that change in time as production steps and markings are simplified. It may have had to do with original copyright requirements as well.

Mark 2112,

COLT & MILITARY BUTT PLATES:

gijive (Chuck) posted a wonderful forum topic and information on the Colt and military butt plates

www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11538 (this link works now)

Here are some pictures of actual original Colt 1921 Butt plates.You can see that on the Colt 1921 Thompson "Remington" butt plate that the screw protrusion has a rounded screw. The military GI milled 1928 butt plate has a screw protrusion, but they ground the screw flat, so the the protrusion isn't rounded like on the Colt "Remington" original 1921 Thompson butt plates. So as you can see the military 1928 Milled butt plate with the screw protrusion would be the closest to an original 1921 Colt butt plate.

1921 Real Type 1 Comp 5.jpg

Colt 21 Remington Buttplate.jpg

Edited by Kocapuff1

reconbob (Bob),

Attached are the pictures of the Stamped 1928A1 late production butt plate. You can see on the back of the plate there is not a protrusion of the screw like the Colt 1921 Remington Butt plates and the Military GI 1928 milled earlier butt plates. There is no manufacture marking on it. I am glad that posting my replica has brought out some questions and answers for some good topic areas. Good Stuff!

Stamped butt plate 1.jpg

Stamped butt plate 2.jpg

Stamped butt plate 3.jpg

Edited by Kocapuff1

So,my plan is to remove in a lathe the back of the screw head so it will protrude out the back slightly like the colts,of course ill have to radius the tip of the screw first then reblue. Edited by MARK2112

Mark,

If your butt plate comes out well for making a Colt/Remington 1921 repo butt plate please let me know. I want to eventually build a replica/dummy 1921AC with a Doug Richardson replica receiver. I could send you my butt plate to make the screw head proper like the 21 for my display gun, so then I would have a repo-butt plate also; take of a fellow local Illinois brother?

I have a stock from an early 1928 model that has no swivel cut out that will be perfect for my replica 1921AC build.

Also mark I was told you need to take off all the finish on your latch on your 1928 Stock to make it look near "nickel". All 1921 Colt Thompson "Remington" made stocks had a "nickel steel" latch". I am enclosing a picture from Larry on the board sent me of the Colt Latch.

One more thing Mark, did you get a hold of "PK" Paul Krogh, Diamond K Gunsmitthing in Colorado for your levers and mag catch to get them modified to near original 1921 controls? gijive (Chuck) from the forums said PK does outstanding work on the pivot lever, safety, and mag catch from standard 1928A1 controls that you send him to make perfect looking replica Thomspon 1921 controls. I was wondering how much he charges. I send PK an email, but I never got a response.

Thompson Latch.jpg

Thompson Latch 2.jpg

Kocapuff1 - Thank you for taking the time to take and post the photos. Now I understand. I have seen this

construction on M1 Thompson and also M1903A3 but I have not seen this on a M1928A1. It just goes to

show that there is always something to learn...

Bob

Called paul twice,no responce yet.if i cant get him to do it i have no more options,so ill have to figure it out myself.i like the ideas you all are giving me on a good colt copy.didnt know the busttstock latch was nickel,ill polish that out or glass bead it to look like nickel.i think a display thread would be a great idea,displays are super hot now because of all the russian kits comming in.get a richardson as soon as possible as hes on his way out of the buisness.bob at philly has great stuff too and his prices are better.

MARK2112,

The latches on the Colt butt stocks are not a shiny nickel, like a plated finish. They are more like a case hardened, in the white, type of finish. I really don't know how to describe it. Maybe some of the gunsmiths, like reconbob, can come up with a better description of the finish. Polishing it like a bright nickel finish won't look correct, it will give it away as a reproduction.

It looks like a non-polished stainless steel part.

High nickel content steel is what it actually is.

Darryl

It looks like a non-polished stainless steel part.

High nickel content steel is what it actually is.

Darryl

Darryl,

Thanks for the help on that. I think your description fits pretty closely.

Mark 2112,

Attached are pictures of my work today, on a old GI original slide/latch, to make it look like a near authentic Colt/Remington 1921 latch/slide, for my replica 21 stock/no hole for sling swivel stock .

Thank you Chuck, (gijive), for the technique information on how to make my latch look like a Colt/Remington latch!

I started with a GI Slide latch that had rust on it. I used a wire wheel and took off all the rust on top of the latch and the finish came off of course. I totally cleaned the latch and got off all the grease, etc. I took the pin out of the latch on the slide and used a high speed stainless wire wheel to the latch to remove all the finish. The pictures you actually see are what the latch looks like in the "white". Obviously the GI latches have a lot of nickel in them also. The latch looks now looks like a near authentic Colt 1921/Remington latch. I cold blu'd using "birtchwood casey gun blu", the slide and got a near lighter blue Colt look to the slide. I put it all together and what you see is the result. So you don't need to coat your latch. Do exactly what I did and you'll be on your way.

Mark, when you figure out how to make the replica screw that is round and the correct length to make our GI milled Butt plates look like Remington/Colt Butt plates, hopefully you can hook me up and make me one also while your making yours? I also have a good friend, I met on this forum (pjr2412), who wants to do one 1921 replica build also and he would need one, so maybe make 3? I want to use an older GI butt plate I have, that is numbered, and totally wire wheel it and clean and re-blu it and use a replacement screw in the cover, so it has the near exact Colt/Remington butt plate look for my replica 1921 display build, I want to do in the future.

Hope this information helps you and your endeavor of making that display build you have even more impressive and more correct. Have a good night.

Keith

Slide 1.jpg

Slide 2.jpg

slide 3.jpg

slide 4.jpg

Stock 1.jpg

Stock 2.jpg

Stock 3.jpg

Edited by Kocapuff1

Keith,

Great job! The color on the latch(in the white) looks almost identical to the Colt locking latches. If you hadn't told me how you did it, I would have thougt it was an original. Nice job on the bluing also, looks good!

• 2 weeks later...