WTB: B.A.R. "Ammunition Chest M1"

hayes otoupalik Look in the shipping crates and ammo can section second from the bottom. They are new but the tape residue will not come off so be warned about that. You can tape it off and repaint most of it after sanding off the tape residue. Not ideal, not cheap, but an option for you. ....and then there will be the phone call.....plan on a 20 min rant. HTH

• 1 month later...

hayes otoupalik Look in the shipping crates and ammo can section second from the bottom. They are new but the tape residue will not come off so be warned about that. You can tape it off and repaint most of it after sanding off the tape residue. Not ideal, not cheap, but an option for you. ....and then there will be the phone call.....plan on a 20 min rant. HTH

thanks Johnson, ended up buying Hayes's last one. the temptation for the real deal was to much and jumped at it.

3 hours of go off, swearing, meticulous picking slowly away with a flat head, more swearing, and a case and half of yuengling up to about 94%...
also show off more mags that arrived... including 5 mint blued WWI mags
still got more to do as today after everything dried still a bit of residue crap remaining i got to figure how to get off as goo off didnt work as great as hoped.
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately removing the residue, and tape resulted in paint loss, and shadows ect. Had a buddy bead blast it, I had the matching wwii paints and primer on hand, and had someone replicate markings on an original stencil cutting machine. Good as new :)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/maninblue1861/1918%20Browning%20automatic%20rifle/20150821_095216_zpsbszzhylw.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/maninblue1861/1918%20Browning%20automatic%20rifle/20150821_095451_zps4bruusri.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/maninblue1861/1918%20Browning%20automatic%20rifle/20150821_102241_zpsvwqjvzwh.jpg

That looks good, I almost bought that from Hays.

Didn't since my BAR's are pre WWII.

Great job,

Darryl

Again a very nice pickup, most if not all the WWI ammo boxes I've

seen were wood boxes? If in fact it is a WWI box, it's even better.

After giving it some more thought, the machine rifle descriptive is definitely WWI.

I know, I own one.

-Darryl

BMR-3.jpg

Edited by darrylta

Not WW1 , but pre-WW2 .

Late 20s / early 30s .

These boxes were developed from or at the same time as the ones for the 1919A2 ( ? I think ) . 300 round boxes ( 2 150rd belts ) that mounted on the pack saddles for the calvary . They made them for the 1918 and 1918A1 BARs for pack carry . Ground pounders used belts and bandoleers .

Chris