Charles Erb MP-40

That's interesting.. I had a SS room MP40 and with an original sling fit the case just fine. I want to build a few wooden boxes for my latest.

What issues are you having with your SMG? I've built and restored MPs G43s and Lugers etc. for years just like my classic cars.. I may be able to help...

That's interesting.. I had a SS room MP40 and with an original sling fit the case just fine. I want to build a few wooden boxes for my latest.

What issues are you having with your SMG? I've built and restored MPs G43s and Lugers etc. for years just like my classic cars.. I may be able to help...

My only issue is vertical play in my stock. Edited by DZelenka

My only issue is vertical play in my stock.

I think you're on the right track with that... I have a new parts for my BNZ 44 with the same issue en-route...

Depends on how difficult it is to remove the pin in the base... On mine, one is easy and the other is staked at both ends... I've read elsewhere that these weren't meant to be repaired or little consideration was given during assembly to their potential maintenance. Once you get the pin out just be observant with orientation of the bushing for reassembly. I had an early non gun in the 70s you could completely take apart like the real thing...

The canvas case is a repo and brand new. So its still fairly tight and with the sling on in the most perfect space saving method I can get it closed on the last latch piece. For me Ive found that having to go through that process makes me want to not take it out and use it at the range so I took the sling off. I'm sure in the future after the cloth has stretched out more it will become easier.

The canvas case is a repo and brand new. So its still fairly tight and with the sling on in the most perfect space saving method I can get it closed on the last latch piece. For me Ive found that having to go through that process makes me want to not take it out and use it at the range so I took the sling off. I'm sure in the future after the cloth has stretched out more it will become easier.

My new case hasn't arrived so I can't comment on that one yet.. My previous one did have ample room though the hook style bolt handle poked a hole through the canvas. I'll let you know how my American made bag compares to the Chinese one used previously. I also agree if my SMG was a pain to remove and reinstall the sling each time I'd avoid using it as well...

• 2 months later...

Other than the vertical movement in both the locked and folded positions, it stays locked in those positions just fine. Is there anyway to repair this condition?

Dan

Hi, Dan,

The gun doesn't have a problem. The looseness is a general characteristic of these guns. Some stocks lock up tighter than others. I wouldn't see this condition as a reason to reject the purchase of any particular piece.

I purchased a new bushing and button for the stock and changed it out in a few minutes. The stock now locks tightly against the bakelite when folded but does have up and down play when unfolded. I assume that is just how it was designed and will live with it.

Dan

• 5 months later...

Definitely the folding stock portion of the lower. When you do go out to test fire it make sure to try both 115gr to see if those will be cycled properly.....

Expect failures to feed with any lightly loaded ammo. These these guns were designed for 124 gr. full power ammo, not the SAAMI loaded, somewhat wimpy Winchester 115 gr. white box stuff that we get at Wal Mart. If you have the opportunity to test fire the gun before purchase, you might use NATO spec M882, which is very close in performance to the German P.08 ammo that was originally used. This ammo is commonly sold on the US civilian market under the Federal name, and bears the NATO cross-in-circle head stamp. No other ammunition will provide a fair test of the gun.

This stuff, also:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=549471756

Edited by TSMGguy

Definitely the folding stock portion of the lower. When you do go out to test fire it make sure to try both 115gr to see if those will be cycled properly.....

Expect failures to feed with any lightly loaded ammo. These these guns were designed for 124 gr. full power ammo, not the SAAMI loaded, somewhat wimpy Winchester 115 gr. white box stuff that we get at Wal Mart. If you have the opportunity to test fire the gun before purchase, you might use NATO spec M882, which is very close in performance to the German P.08 ammo that was originally used. This ammo is commonly sold on the US civilian market under the Federal name, and bears the NATO cross-in-circle head stamp. No other ammunition will provide a fair test of the gun.

This stuff, also:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=549471756

The Winchester 124 grain NATO round is what I use in my WWII Beretta 38/42, with excellent results.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900125956/winchester-nato-ammunition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket

Robert