Charles Erb MP-40

I have an opportunity to pick up a Charles Erb MP-40 tube gun. I don't know at this time who constructed the actual gun. May be Erb, may not be. I understand that the guns he put together are pretty well done. Can anyone give me a quick lesson on what to look for? I would be especially interested in the telltale signs of a gun that is going to have problems. Is there anything that I can tell from the serial number?

Dan

No,

Since it is a Charlie Erb gun, it would have been good when it was made. However, what may have happened since it was made is another story. If you can actually look at and test fire the gun that is preferable. It is not a C&R since it does not have the original receiver. The new receiver's serial number will be different than the numbers on the rest of the gun. Charlie has retired, but is still around. He lives up in PA. Normal issues with MP-40s are loose stocks. He may have data on the SN to determine if he made it, or sold registered reciever's to someone else. Hope this helps. Are you getting it from a trustworthy source as there are alot of scammers out there now. I would want to look at the Form 4 as well.

Sandman1957

I have owned an Erb MP40 and currently own an Erb Sten gun, never had any trouble with either. Current owner of the Erb MP40 has yet to have a problem over the eight years he has had it which is unusual for him since he is hard on guns mainly due to ignorance. :)

I have only seen Erb MP40s that were built from Erb. They looked good and shot just like an original. The couple I have seen also had the other parts numbers changed to match Erb's own tubes. I met Charles a couple of years ago at the Louisville gun show and he stated the last MP tube gun he had he sold in the 8K range.

Please take a close look at the ERB tube.

Smooth on the inside(?), or I am willing to bet it is ribbed like an original.

Feel under the mag well straps, Charles usually welded the original receiver there.

Next, FOIA when the gun was first registered, before or after Nov of 1968?

I had an ERB many years ago that ERB REACTIVATED, and incorrectly put his name as the manufacturer, not Germany.

I corrected the form, now a c&r.

Thanks, bob bowman.

Definitely the folding stock portion of the lower. When you do go out to test fire it make sure to try both 115gr to see if those will be cycled properly. I've seen certain mp40s have issues with those loads and others none at all. Only thing I would watch out for in terms of range habits it the initial cocking. All my friends and family whom have been in the military are so use to full charging on M16/AR15s and letting go, even when told not to, still do and have accidental discharges.

I decided on the gun. Here are a few pictures. If you look at the two pictures taken from the side you can see how much play is in the stock. Is there anyone who can cure that? Also, I fired the gun with 115 FMJ. It runs great.

post-259934-0-23016200-1437165498_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-29326400-1437165583_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-49201800-1437165617_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-24639100-1437165694_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-08165800-1437165780_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-65963100-1437165813_thumb.jpg

post-259934-0-33578800-1437165911_thumb.jpg

I wish I did, but that looks very similar to mine and it's tolerable by me. I prefer the solid feel of a Thompson, but to each their own. Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, only question is which one will you enjoy more, the .45 or 9mm.

It seems to me that you could remove the stock and put a bit of weld or solder on some surface and reshape it. It is such a common problem, I would think that someone has come up with some solution. Who is the best MP-40 gunsmith in the country?

Dan

Congrats Dan! Beautiful.. Yes I noticed that MP41 straight away. Haenel even includes the patent on the weapon as well...

I believe you can lessen the play in the stock by replacing the bushing inside the piviot. My 44 does the same so I'm waiting for the new bushing and ideally it will be in better shape than the original.

Excellent... As for slings, I had a couple of post war Austrians for years and lost them during a move.. I'm in the same boat.. I've purchased a couple of different ones and I'll let you know how these do after they arrive. Building two kits right now...

I haven't had one for a few years now. I helped a friend build his a few months back and got the bug again! LOL