Just Ordered My First Thompson!

I have always loved the history of WWII (three of my great grandfathers fought in WWII), and I now collect WWII firearms and militaria.

I already have a 1944 Springfield M1 Garand and 1944 Inland Div M1 Carbine, so it only made sense that I MUST get a Thompson. Without getting into tax stamps, I wanted to get one as close to what our guys carried so I went with the steel receiver Auto Ordnance TM1. Was this a good choice for what I'm looking for? I plan on modifying the mag catch to fit unaltered surplus mags and ordered 5 mags from a company online that was offering them at $17 a piece. They labeled them as possibly having small dings/pitting, but that doesn't bother me as long as I can get them in working order. I am unsure where to go from here and what other parts/accessories I might need to get for it.

Here's some of the things I'm considering, but would love input from you guys on what to do with my new Thompson!

Magazines-Already bought 5 extra, and plan on trading/selling the factory one that comes with the rifle
Magazine Catch-Alter to accept military unaltered magazines
5 Cell 30 Rd Magazine Pouch-Anyone have a good source or recommendation for a decent priced original or quality repro?
Stock-Considering replacing the new furniture with USGI surplus to get a more authentic look/feel. I know the front handguard slot must be widened. Where's the best place to find a set?
Springs-Haven't received the rifle yet, but heard the bolt is a beast to pull back. Thinking about buying the EZ Pull spring kit. Where's the cheapest place to pick them up?
Any other must have accessories/parts/upgrades/modifications that I should consider?

Once I receive the rifle, I am thinking about trading the brand new set of furniture with metal parts for a WWII M1A1 USGI set with metal parts. Would also trade the factory supplied AO 30 round magazine for a few unaltered (20 or 30) USGI surplus magazines. Anyone have any interest in that?

Thanks!

Edited by ZakBradshaw

Steel reciever is a must . '28 style vs. M1 is a personal choice . I have both in FA WHs .

Military lower is one thing you can do . In '28s this allows you to add a bolt hold open using the selector switch for easy drum changes . Not so much on an M1 except for looks and range safety and cleaning and taking GI mags .

I know you said no tax stamps , but if your state allows it , SBR is the way to go . It makes the weapon more compact , looks much nicer , and moves the balance back more between your hands . If you can handle one , you'll be a beliver .

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just so you know the 5 cell pouches are meant for the 20 round magazines. The three cell pouches are for the 30 round magazines. You can occasionally find some modified 5 cell pouches where the flaps were lengthened to accept the 30 rounders. I found 2 like that on ebay where someone at some point used British webgear to lengthen the flaps.

I also picked up a full USGI wood set on ebay for under $100.

The mag catch mod is great. I actually had my M1 laser engraved with USGI markings when I got it done for the SBR markings. I also had the selector switch added along with a FA pivot plate to make the look complete.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/001_zpsge7tkszh.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/003_zpsjdb8mlmd.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/IMG_0400_zpsylbjcydk.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/The%20gun%20rack/IMG_0402_zpshaqbveen.jpg