Reising Soft Cases

Shattered

Hi Shattered,

I got a canvas jump bag with my M55. I've been told there was one for sale several years ago for $600 for a very long time. It then was no longer offered for sale so no valid pricing was documented.

Oddly, my M55 stock has some problems. You would think I was buying a Colt 21 stock for what they go for :)

Hope this helps a bit.

Sincerely,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

I got to eyeball one at a show not too long ago. When I tried my Reising in it, it seemed too short. Did they shrink or something? Doesn't seem like it's something you can actually use, more of an "add to the collection" thing...

He only wanted $75 for it.

There is a canvas bag on Gunbroker. They are asking close to $400. It's been on there for a while.

Wow. I just went to GunChoker and checked out the soft case. This one is a piece of sh!t!! Compared to the one I saw, anyhow. Rotted canvas around the snaps, stitching all coming out around the leather end cap and he's got the balls to say it's in remarkable shape. Just wow.

Like I said, it was close, aka the same style. Most of these didn't hold up during the last 70 years. I don't think that many were even

produced. They had the Federal Labs case for civilians. They had a smaller bag for the M55. Were these issued with every M50

in the USMC? You need to remember, the USMC were a low budget operation. They were last in line for any money for gear. They

did take good care of that gear and is why there are original gear out there. The Reising didn't last very long as a service weapon.

Thus not much gear was produced and even fewer survived.

Like I said, it was close, aka the same style. Most of these didn't hold up during the last 70 years. I don't think that many were even

produced. They had the Federal Labs case for civilians. They had a smaller bag for the M55. Were these issued with every M50

in the USMC? You need to remember, the USMC were a low budget operation. They were last in line for any money for gear. They

did take good care of that gear and is why there are original gear out there. The Reising didn't last very long as a service weapon.

Thus not much gear was produced and even fewer survived.

I would guess these cases were marketed to law enforcement probably sold through Federal Labs. Just a hunch with no proof yet but they are very similar to the soft case they made for the tear gas guns. Federal Labs sold a hard case and soft case for the gas guns, it would seem plausible they did the same for the Reising.

They were selling the Reising to law enforcement after they lost sole distributor ship of the Thompson. Just my thoughts.

Ron

I got to eyeball one at a show not too long ago. When I tried my Reising in it, it seemed too short. Did they shrink or something? Doesn't seem like it's something you can actually use, more of an "add to the collection" thing...

Shattered,

I have a Reising soft case, and it is too short to fit the gun. I speculated in the past that it shrank, but I've wondered for a while now if they were mistaken as Reising soft cases at some point, and may really be tear gas gun cases. I need to see if a gas gun fits better.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Shattered,

I have a Reising soft case, and it is too short to fit the gun. I speculated in the past that it shrank, but I've wondered for a while now if they were mistaken as Reising soft cases at some point, and may really be tear gas gun cases. I need to see if a gas gun fits better.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Now there's a real possibility. I was contemplating getting ahold of one and seeing if it could be stretched/restored to original length. Kind of a useless thought if it was never actually a Reising case to begin with.

David:

Do you have any Federal Labs advertising from that era that might show the soft case for either?

Here's one for the gas gun much newer than David's case.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15301&do=findComment&comment=127487

I don't recall seeing one for the Reising but I don't have all the catalogs from that area. Next time David and I get together I would like to compare these cases. The pockets look too short on his to house gas cartridges, but I have a few inert ones we can try.

Ron

• Upvote 1

Canvas M1917 BMG machine gun cases have , as a rule , shrunken to the point that the guns are about an inch too long to fit any more . Is that about the same as you're looking at on these ? If so , I'd guess shrinkage , if much more , I'd say designed for a different gun .

Chris

Shattered,

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

One other thing I'll add is that someone told me that Bob Landies (Ohio Ordnance) had several of these for sale a while back (maybe 20 years ago), and they were sold as Reising cases. So, if they aren't Reising cases, that could have been the source of the information. They are shown as Reising cases in Frank's Reising book.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com