What about Import Colt C-drum? Legally Possible?

Hi Casper,

I hope everything is going well for you.

I don't have an answer. However, if the deal was good enough, I believe a well prepared ATF Form 6, Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War, would be worth pursuing. There would have to be a lot trust involved as most people would not pay anything until the Form 6 was approved and the drum was safely delivered. I have gone this route for other "Implements of War" items. It is a time consuming process but the end result can be very gratifying.

As noted above, import application by form 6 and 6A is advised, and actually required by law for any item over $100 in resale value. There are lots of licensed importers who can handle it for you.

Keep in mind that Europe and other international regions are rife with fakes and repros,

The international Militaria site www.Wehrmacht-Awards.com often has posts with pics asking about whether an item is actually vintage or repro and the variety and quality of fakes and repros is astounding. Currently, the US doesn't have much of an issue with fakes, especially in the NFA world, and repro items are quickly identified as such, so keep that in mind.

I believe to process a Form 6 you must have an import licenses. You can't file

The Form 6 as an individual. The import license has as one of its requirements

that you register with the Department of State. This all adds up real quick to

big bucks so you'd have to find someone properly licensed to do it for you. Has

anyone actually done this successfully - gone thru a licensed third party?

Bob

This question reminds me of the Sportsmans Guide L drum fiasco of about 10 years ago. I admit, I was one of the people who pre-ordered one of the drums thinking that in a few weeks I'd get an unissued WWII vintage drum at a fantastically low price. As near as I could tell at the time, SG ended up deciding that going through all of the hoops wasn't worth it to them.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

As Johnson '41 notes, form 6 and 6a are available to anyone who wants to do the import himself. Many years ago I imported half a dozen MG42 Lafette tripods from Canada, which actually did not require import applications at the time. During those days, US tripods were considered to be "implements of war" under the state department ITAR regulations, but foreign made tripod were not, so did not require import applications.

There are proscribed countries from which vintage items are prohibited from exports of and import into the US, such as Russia. Only items provably made before 1917 are eligible for import. There is a list of firearms that are importable from Russia, however. FWIW

An ATF Form 6 and Form 6a can be filed by an individual. I believe preparation establishing the age and short history of the item is key to approval. I would not waste my time trying to import any US military items that would involve the State Department. That is above my pay grade. The name and address of the foreign seller must be listed on the form. In essence, the foreign seller is exporting this item for you to import into the USA. They cannot just drop the item in the mail. They have to present the approved Form 6 with the package to the overseas shipper, i.e. Fed Ex, UPS, etc. The package will ultimately be inspected by US Customs. If sent with the proper approved forms the package should be released for delivery.

If the item is illegal or contraband in the country of origin, the seller could face problems when trying to ship the item to the USA. Of course, this is not your problem. Just make sure the item you are trying to import is legal to own in the USA. A Colt C drum is not legal in every state in the USA. Of course, I would never live in those states :D

what I read on some sites is that assault rifles and high capacity magazines can not be imported in the USA , That was the reason I asked this question, I don't want to risk trouble .

btw TD, everything is fine, thanks for asking