"Must Have" Spare Parts for MP40

On my original 660 mp40, I swapped out the original firing pin assembly like you said, and the matching bolt. 9mm is benign enough that I don't need to mess with the original alignment of the barrel assembly, barrel nut, etc. I still keep a full spare parts kit as well just in case.

Hi Robert,

FPB bolt & recoil assembly. You get the bolt, recoil assembly, and an extractor already in the bolt.

http://www.ima-usa.com/fbp-9mm-parts-set-mp-40-bolt-recoil-system-w-bayonet-attachment.html

is a bit much. Just the recoil assembly:

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-fbp-fixed-firing-pin-bolt-and-recoil-assembly-german-mp-40-smg-interchangeable.html

The safety will not work on your gun but what the heck, your gun only came with a leather strap :)

I had to cut the recoil spring for my wimpy handloads so it was nicer messing with the FBP stuff rather than the WWII stuff.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Having built and repaired many many MP40's as a Class 2 over the years, I have found the following...

Quality Extractors (there are some cheap poor quality ones out there)

​Eventually these will break

Spare firing pins and bolt (original or FPB with recoil assembly) preferably "as new" condition

​Depending on how many rounds you will put through your weapon the bolt and receiver channel will start to wear. WW2 weapons were never fired as much as how many rounds have gone through MP40's since 1945.

NOTE: Not all MP40 bolts are exactly the same in diameter and may need "fitting"

Also, the bottom cam face that mates with the sear will eventually wear (get rounded)

Also, I have had to replace a few cocking handles that came off... very inconvenient when at the range and the handle falls off.

MAGAZINES!!

Can't have enough quality mags THAT WORK IN YOUR WEAPON. A worn magazine is the first thing I look at when diagnosing a "misbehaving" MP40.

Make sure the magazine you are purchasing fits into your mag well... I have had a few original WW2​ MP40 magazines that would not fit into an original magazine well...

Make sure the feed lips on the magazine are not too well worn...

Depending on how many rounds will go through MP40, consider buying a new manufactured MP40 barrel. They are readily available from a number of sources. Again, WW2 weapons were never fired as much as how many rounds have gone through MP40's since 1945.

Consider MP40 springs for the recoil assembly and magazines from Wolfe Springs...

• Upvote 1

If you want some great magazines that don't cost much and you have some spare time, you can modify the Belgian Vigneron 32-round magazines quite easily. I use an angle grinder with 120 grit sand disc to hit the front, rear and sides of the magazine until smooth. I would recommend using a set of calipers to get a starting point and go from there.

Once done with reducing the size of the portion of the magazine that inserts into the well, you will have to open the front portion of the feed lips just slightly I use a cheap Harbor Freight metal punch/chisel that's tapered. It's the larger to medium-sized unit and just tap it in slight and it will allow the bullets to feed at the proper angle.

I have approximately eight MP-40's and the parts that we go through on a regular basis include the extractor, bolt handle coming off and rarely the ejector wears out. We have lost two sets of the telescoping recoil spring but I blame that on lack of changing out the recoil springs on a timely basis.

V/R

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at a bolt with no handle or other parts. Is there a source for the original hook handle and who could assembly everything so it's as good as new?

I don't have a source but when you do get to the assembly stage, Bob Naess at http://www.blackrivermilitaria.com/ is your guy.

• Upvote 1

Greetings Grasshopper: I reside in Southwest FL and looking for other venues to shoot other than the State range that's open to 'rapid fire' one day a week. Any recommendations? Additionally, as an avid reloader, I'm looking for data that would make a good cartridge for my MP40.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for simplicity sake, here is a link for the Wolff webpage that sells the replacement springs for the recoil, buffer and magazines.

I'm waiting on a Form 4 for an MP40 I just bought. I own a C&R Sten Mk II and have found plenty of information about how to keep it running, etc. available on the web or in book form. However, I can't seem to find a book that provides much practical info on repairs and tuning for the MP40. I've purchased several translated manuals as well as "Blitzkrieg" by Frank Iannamico which gives some useful tips but feel like I'm still in the dark. Does anyone have any suggestions on useful maintenance info. (for example, I'm wondering if the Bolt bottom cam face that mates with the sear becomes rounded, is it possible to re-cut or shape with a file to get a sharp edge that will catch the sear? Or do I need to completely replace the bolt?) (Or with the Sten, if your ejector wears, you can weld a small bit of metal on the tip and re-shape to bring the old extractor up to spec.) Practical info like that seems a bit hard to come by. Any direction on informational materials, or simply advise from experienced mp40 users would be very much appreciated.

• Upvote 1