WTB: 1928/GI Thompson Parts

I'm looking for parts like the actuator, bolt, trigger housing, wood that are less valuable than those on my Colt 1921AC. My goal is to be able to shoot it (on rare occasions) without the chance of damaging or degrading the original parts. I understand a 28 actuator can be modified to work, and I'm assuming the other parts will just swap and work.

Any assistance in providing these parts will be appreciated.

KM

Here are a couple web sources for Thompson parts.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/machine-guns/sub-machine-guns/thompson-45-acp.html

https://www.sarcoinc.com/submachine-gun-parts/thompson/

I did not notice an available or in stock trigger housing or lower frame in the above, but believe if you keep searching and asking, one can be found.

You can send in a 1928 actuator to PK and have him make it into a 1921 style, if you do get his hybrid 28/21 buffer.

An option for wood would be to reach out to Dan Block aka Deerslayer on this board and ask him to make you up a set of wood that is as close to the original Colt Thompson profile and look as possible. That wood along with the other parts you mentioned, and factory ammo would allow your Colt the ability to shoot with much reduced risk to the original parts.

TD has a book with a Chapter specific to shooting original Colt Thompsons, An Amateur’s Guide for the Colt’s Thompson Submachine Gun.

Since the barrel is still the original, I would caution any stoppage for any reason is when you should absolutely stop, safely unload, engage safety and carefully inspect to make sure that no squib has ended up with a slug stuck in the barrel. It is too easy for your shooters, especially those who don't own the valuable Colt they are shooting to quickly recock and fire again, with risk to potentially put another round in the barrel and cause a bulged barrel damage. If you inspect after any stoppage, even a simple jam, the risk of damage to the barrel would be greatly reduced.

I'm looking for parts like the actuator, bolt, trigger housing, wood that are less valuable than those on my Colt 1921AC. My goal is to be able to shoot it (on rare occasions) without the chance of damaging or degrading the original parts. I understand a 28 actuator can be modified to work, and I'm assuming the other parts will just swap and work.

Any assistance in providing these parts will be appreciated.

KM

Check your original thread I posted links there that may help you.

Okay, I'll wait for Tom's book and study that. I've gotten a lot of good info on this board but its still a bit confusing. I can look at the websites and dealers you guys have recommended but don't have enough knowledge to know I'm getting the right parts. I look at the parts kits currently offered on gunbroker.com and none of them seem to include an actuator. And things like swapping the 21 spring for a 28 just came up. So I'll keep digging and calling folks. I did talk to PK about getting a 1928 actuator modified. He does one batch/year and just finished one!

KM

So to be completely safe I should use a non-Colt barrel?!

A squib sounds pretty scary. Is it prudent to use only well-known brand ammo? I have no plans to do any self-loading.

Especially avoid Maxxtech. Many threads on the board discuss ammo. Search by ammo brand, such as 'Magtech' and you will see many. (maxxtech is bad/Magtech is good)

Congratulations on your Thompson, it looks first-rate.

Edited by JJX

So to be completely safe I should use a non-Colt barrel?!

A squib sounds pretty scary. Is it prudent to use only well-known brand ammo? I have no plans to do any self-loading.

I have been pretty happy with Seller & Bellot and it is priced well. PK just finished my gun and test fired it with 280 rounds. I will have to ask him what he uses.

• 2 months later...

I have wood sets, fair priced. The buttstock and frontend have converted swivels (and an unaltered rear grip). You might can screw the swivels back to the original places.

Front grip only 129+20sh, complete set including rear grip for $180+35sh.

Email me for photos.

Best regards Tommy

us1945@hotmail.com