WH Thompson TF series has notches in blish lock slot

Gentlemen

I acquired a WH Model 28 Thompson with the TF markings (from what I read it started out as a .22 cal).

The SMG runs fine, I replaced all the internals with GI parts and put a Savage lower on it.

What I noticed was, there are small notches on each side of the blish lock slots. (pictures)

I was wondering if anyone with a TF marked WH has the same notches or someone with knowledge of WH can let me know why there put there.

Will these notches cause problems if I continue shooting it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marty

post-261186-0-55589300-1583200755_thumb.jpg

post-261186-0-14992900-1583200774_thumb.jpg

Yes. My (once .22) TF338 has them . Probably just a milling thing. The Westies were a very unusual breed inside the receiver. Mine never caused any problems when firing. Has your gun been PK'd? R

1930rust

No it has not. I only owned it about year now. I read everything I could find on the board about WH's and replaced all the parts with GI, except the barrel.

(I do have 2 GI barrels for spares). The board has stated that PK is booked up for a few years out. At the moment I'm looking at a M1A1.

I acquired my WH's from a friend who passed away (Mike Pelguin- Class 3 up here in Michigan) and another friend (Jeff M) bought Glen Whittenbeger's WH. It's beat up as most people know, but it still runs.

Both Jeff and I are looking forward to making the Thompson event in Ohio this year.

Thanks Marty

The1930sRust.

Does your West Hurley still have these notches in the Blish slots after PK remanufactured your Thompson? I would guess not.

Moose1,

Congratulations on your 1928 West Hurley. I would suggest also using one of the new polyurethane buffer discs to protect the receiver as much as possible. Board member PK makes excellent buffer discs.

You will definitely enjoy the Thompson Show & Shoot in Ohio. I have been trying to get Rust to attend for several years now. I want him to see the best looking PK remanufactured West Hurley Thompson :happy:

possibly the notches on the ramp were caused by the milling cutter producing the groove down the length of the receiver, the notch would be the run out of the cutter into the ramp area

Edited by laurencen

Moose1

Welcome to the board

Mine had the notches until PK did his magic. It ran OK before but after a visit to PK it is so much better. The before and after is truly amazing. You don't know what you don't know until you shoot it after it comes back. Additionally most if not all WH's have bowed receivers which effect their performance PK fixes all that and much more.

I think I will visit my local Moose Lodge for a beer later. Your board "handle" put me in the mood.

possibly the notches on the ramp were caused by the milling cutter producing the groove down the length of the receiver, the notch would be the run out of the cutter into the ramp area

Correcto.

Also, notice the runout on each side of the inside front of the receiver.

Instead of going to a smaller diameter end mill, WH just moved their larger bit back and forth far enough to square the face.

These oversize notches might allow the hammer pin to work out and jamb the bolt; PK puts a weld blob on each side to keep this from happening.

"Real" Thompsons are cut correctly, and don't need this.

(Before anyone starts flaming, I've owned three WH's; all ran fine without that mod, and TD's is truly gorgeous work).

TD, just went to the safe to see the best PK'd WH in the world... :-)

It does still have the ramp notches. I would be guessing that, if PK did remove them on later (worked) guns, he didn't on mine because I suspect mine was one of the first he experimented on. He did install strange "knobs" just above the ramps to keep the bolt in line? My memory is shady on what their purpose was, but I think it is a trade secret. :ph34r: R

The1930sRust.

Does your West Hurley still have these notches in the Blish slots after PK remanufactured your Thompson? I would guess not.

I want him to see the best looking PK remanufactured West Hurley Thompson :happy:

TD

Thank you. The WH did come with a few new poly buffer discs, but do not know the maker. I will look into getting some PK buffers to be on the safe side.

I remember Glen and Beth hosting one of the Thompson events at their house in Indiana, while I was playing in Iraq. I felt like I missed out on something special, so looking forward to this one.

My Buddy Jeff does not know if he will be attending, because he attends Sturgis every year... My remark to him was; you have been to Sturgis, but never an all Thompson event. Easy choice.

Tiz

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Between you and 1930'sRust, relaying that your WH TF Thompson had the same notches, it might be safe to say, that all the TF's made SMGs had them.

And I'm happy I could assist you on heading to the Lodge for a cold one.

StrangeRanger

Maybe PK will chime in and let us know about the notches. The more knowledge the better.

Thanks

Marty

The notches are from cutter run out; just plain sloppy machining, but in most cases they don't affect function. They are common throughout WH 28 prodcution.