Japtype 99

sentinel

Thinking of buying a Japanese Type 99LMG. Recent search showed shortage of parts, mags and ammo.

Looks like only practical way to shoot is conversion to another caliber. Any info on kits, or gunsmiths who can do good conversions.

Would also like to hear viewpoint of owners out there. Is this a good shooter. Are parts as scarce as I think???

Thanks for looking.

I'm not an RKI on Jap MGs by any stretch of the imagination, but I have seen a few T99 caliber conversions, including a 7.62x36. IMHO, the guy to talk to is Bubba Naess at Black River Militaria. For Jap guns and Maxims, he's the guy.

• 2 months later...
The Japanese Type 99's that I have seen perform very well. I have seen two of them shoot. One is original 7.7 the other has been converted to .308. The .308 works fine and uses a converted MG13 German magazine. Another fellow in Arizona is making conversion kits (Around $1200) with new (converted) barrel, magazine holder conversion, and uses the Russian assault ammo. I have not seen one of these in use. However, he says he is not going to make anymore when this small supply is gone. Hope this helps some.

• 7 years later...

I know someone who bought a Arizona Jap gun, the AK47 mag conversion didnt work so well and the bolt had some issues.

Lucky he has access to a machine shop and it sings now.

I cant give you too much info but from what I saw the aluminum mag adapter didnt fit all that great and another one was made to work with the Chec barrel. From what I heard it works great now.

It`s not surprising that the conversions,mags,bolts are hit and miss..these firearms,type 96 and 99 from my personal experience appear to have many hand fit components.What works in one may not in tne next.Tweekin`is the order of the day.That`s not to say these are junk,on the contrary I`ve found that they are generally well made just not standardized per say.It`s a personal thrill to me to put one together and spend some range time heating up a barrel that been cold for 65+years.If anyone has the contact info for the guy supplying the 7.62x 39 conversions..I would mucho appreciate it..6.5mm Arisaka is way too pricey for a full afternoon of enjoyment.

I agree about the hand fitting of parts on the Jap guns . I have a couple of T-14 Nambu pistols that are quite nice and shoot well . Have not really swaped parts other than fitting a firing pin onto the Nagoya . I got a close look at a Type 11 in 6.5 that looked well built . The owner was not much of a shooter but the gun looked well fitted and built . Too bad there isn't the surplus Jap ammo available .I do like that 6.5 round :wub:

I guess it's what ever floats your boat.

I personally would never consider owning a Jap or Kraught gun.

It's just a matter of history I guess, I can't seem to get past the Jewish

genocide and the POW atrocities?

-Darryl

I bought a Jap Type 96 for $300 in 1999. The gun had what sure looked like a ricochet dent on one of the bipod leg swivel flanges. The gun had been registered as live but had been dewatted by spot - welding the barrel to the receiver and running a long bead of electric arc from one side of the breech face and letting it dribble down to cover the chamber opening. Using a dremel and a chisel I was able to free the barrel and clear the chamber. I bought Norma mfg. Jap 6.5 brass and ended up loading it 2 or 3 grains below the minimum in my 1970 Lyman manual. (Even a minimum standard load would blow the bolt right off of the case without extracting it) The gun was missing the pistol grip and mounting bolt which I bought from J. Curtis Earl for somewhere around $150. I used a Bren .303 mag that I narrowed with a hacksaw cut to the front and back. Ground some metal off the sides of the follower, and held the mag in place with one hand while firing, as I also had to remove the rear mag catch to get it into the mag well. I think I got it to feed about 16 rounds reliably.

Shooting it, I did start to think about how many Americans the gun might have killed. But that ricochet on the bipod made me feel confident that the gun was a true war trophy and considered the rounds coming out of it a victory celebration. I sold it on the newly discovered (by me) www.Sturmgewehr.com about 3 weeks after I got the gun to run in May 2001, and used the profit to pay off my WH 1928. (This was back when the popular Class 3's seemed to be going up $1000 every year.)

Doug

• 1 year later...

I have been seeing a few of these for sale and would like to hear from some of those that have experience with this type of Mg . The idea of converting one to 7.62x39 has a strong appeal . Anyone out there putting a type 99 through the paces ?

I have a Type 99 that has the 7.63X39 conversion. The conversion was made by Jim Langley I believe he lives in Congress, AZ. It runs great and have never had a single problem with it.

Did you notice the post you replied to was close to three years ago?

I have been seeing a few of these for sale and would like to hear from some of those that have experience with this type of Mg . The idea of converting one to 7.62x39 has a strong appeal . Anyone out there putting a type 99 through the paces ?

I have a Type 99 that has the 7.63X39 conversion. The conversion was made by Jim Langley I believe he lives in Congress, AZ. It runs great and have never had a single problem with it.