Tungsten M1/M1A1 bolt handle?

This might be a completely crazy/impractical idea, but has anyone tried or considered making a tungsten bolt handle for the M1/M1A1 bolt to increase weight? I ask this because if it increased weight a bit it theoretically could slow ROF. In my experience, having guns with a slower rate of fire, such as an Uzi or Swedish K, tend to be better in subgun competitions because of the ability to pull singles. Any thoughts on this or has anyone tried this? Just thinking out loud, which can be a dangerous thing. I do know that tungsten is very expensive.

Bigu2fan

You'd have to do most or all of the bolt to have a substantial effect, the handle is just not enough percentage wise to have a substantial effect. The bolt could be drilled and filled as well like an HK?
All said and done the gun has terrible ergonomics, so the rate of fire isn't a substantial factor in matches......unless it's against other Thompsons.

I would practice trying to pull off singles or doubles with your current M1A1 Thompson on full auto. Not that I am an expert but with little practice I was able to shoot single or double shots with trigger control. Now not as easy compared to a grease gun or mp40, but it can be done. With a lot of practice, might even be able to hit the target :happy:!! As Johnson indicated, the ergonomics are not that great, but I do okay with mine but helps that I have really long arms and Six foot Four.

Heavier bolt handles on M1 Thompsons are discussed in Frank Iannamico American Thunder book.

AT3 Pages 345-347 for the complete story

The Savage M1s were not a problem, but the M1s made at the Bridgeport plant had too fast a cyclic rate, so heavier bolt handles were tried (unsuccessfully) to slow them down, finally the Ordnance Dept issued a waiver accepting the AOC M1s.

BTW years ago I did a cyclic rate test using different bolts and M1s, the article was published in SAR magazine.

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2163

14-31.jpg

Frank: Thanks for your reply! I had read that article prior to posting this question. Given that the M1A1 bolt seems to produce a slightly slower rate of fire (all other things being equal) than the M1 bolt, then it would seem to make sense that if you increase the weight of the bolt handle used with the M1A1 bolt then that would work in favor of slowing the cyclic rate even more. I have closely followed the various threads on Uzitalk.com where a gentleman is selling varying bolts of varying design for the M11/9 that reduce the cyclic rate to about that of an Uzi. These bolts are made of tungsten and they basically double the weight of a stock M11/9 bolt. These bolts are being used in stock M11/9 uppers, as opposed to Lage uppers. It’s pretty impressive. These solid Tungsten bolts were Close to $1,000 if I remember correctly. This work with tungsten bolts got me to thinking about tungsten bolt handles for the M1A1 bolt.

Edited by bigu2fan