GPC C/L Drums

Anyone have any recent experience with the new numrich C and/or L drum?

I was looking at them online and didn't know if they worked or weren't woth buying.

R/s, Hiller.......................

Hi Hiller,

Welcome to the Thompson forum.

I did a story about the then new GPC C drums for Small Arms Review magazine several years ago:

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=4049

What I found was they are a great value and usually work. Some drums may (but not always) need a little tweaking and I always recommend a little graphite powder inside the drum body as explained in my article. For $400, you cannot go wrong. I would advise you to stay away from the old West Hurley and newer Kahr C drums, especially for full auto.

Hiller,

I second Tom on welcoming you to the Thompson Forum.

There is an old thread on this forum concerning the Numrich C drums, which may also interest you.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20627&hl=

Post #67 is a good review...amongst others in that thread.

Richard

Thanx, just what I was looking for.

I especially liked the replies from some of the older folks posting how much fun they had doing the 100 round mag dumps. Its nice to see a weapon system keeping so many people young.

Just got a gpc L and C mag and hope to test them both in the upcoming weeks.

R/s, Hiller..............

Range/Drum report.

Got to try the gpc l & c drums I just received from them. The L worked perfect with one extra wind click.

The C was very tight going into receiver kept stopping on an empty chamber every 7-10 shots. Had wound the C with one extra click. If I held up on the drum it worked perfect. So all in all not too bad.

Hiller.....................................

ditto with the late savage '28. the Taiwanese C drum is very loose and wobbly. PK noticed it also. I probably should have returned it to GPC, and tried another, but no telling if I'd get the same deal. Maybe someone can tack another piece to the slide to stiffen it up. Maybe there's a better way to fix that issue. The Taiwanese L drum from GPC is perfect.

Hiller/Jamman,

Thank you for your prompt replies. The GPC C drums fitting loose in the slots. This is the first I have heard of that. I do know a few purchasers were not happy with how the C drums ran in their Thompsons.and returned for a refund or another C drum. C drums can be very finicky, even the Colt era C drums. GPC seemed very accommodating and most owners are very happy. However, if the drums run, even by holding it up, I would be hesitant in trying another. Perhaps some type of thick tape or adhesive rubber strips would take up the slack.

Ok folks just got mine in the mail today and I have a few questions for the forum. I’m completely new at this but after some tinkering with it to see how cartridges will feed, seems like the top edge of the brass gets caught on the very edge of the metal wedge that holds the cartridge in place against the spring. I mean when I put a few rounds in and give it a couple clicks if I go to try and push out a round with my finger it won’t budge. I realize the bolt action may overcome this and I haven’t had a chance to shoot it, but if I perform the same type of test on an original L drum the cartridges push out of the feed ramp by hand with no interference. It’s easy to see that there is a bit of a rough/sharp edge that it’s catching on but I’m not sure whether that’s normal or not.
Again, I’m new at all this and am learning but I’m looking for some advice.

Edited by Jetstreamer

WELCOME TO THE BOARD ! I WOULD'NT BEGIN TO HOLD MY BREATH ON THAT. I HAVE TO GIVE MY BROTHER IN-LAW A BIB WHEN HE SHOOTS MY 28. AFTER 3/4 THOUSAND ROUNDS HE IS STILL DROOLING. HE HATES IT IN CA.

Edited by wv1928

Ok folks just got mine in the mail today and I have a few questions for the forum. I’m completely new at this but after some tinkering with it to see how cartridges will feed, seems like the top edge of the brass gets caught on the very edge of the metal wedge that holds the cartridge in place against the spring. I mean when I put a few rounds in and give it a couple clicks if I go to try and push out a round with my finger it won’t budge. I realize the bolt action may overcome this and I haven’t had a chance to shoot it, but if I perform the same type of test on an original L drum the cartridges push out of the feed ramp by hand with no interference. It’s easy to see that there is a bit of a rough/sharp edge that it’s catching on but I’m not sure whether that’s normal or not.

Again, I’m new at all this and am learning but I’m looking for some advice.

My cartridges aren't hitting the edge of the brass on my drum the way yours are. I would think if you had any trouble at all it might hold the bold open.

My issue is closed bolt on an empty chamber. Like the mag can't keep up with the action/bolt failing to pick up a round.

Hiller........................

Well its all moot because I tried to fit the drum in my gun (I dont have the gun in my possession yet) and the fit isnt even close so back to Numrich it goes...

Didn't fit?? too tight, too loose?

R/s, Bryan....................................................

Well its all moot because I tried to fit the drum in my gun (I dont have the gun in my possession yet) and the fit isnt even close so back to Numrich it goes...

Didn't fit?? too tight, too loose?

R/s, Bryan....................................................

Too tight. Couldnt even start it in the slots. Edited by Jetstreamer