Bm59 vs M14

doc diel

HI folks

I am looking at my next NFA purchase. I am considering either a Bm59 or a m14/conversion.

I am looking a the different pros and cons.

Parts seem pretty available for both.

Mags this advantage leans towards M14, plus I already have M1A guns and mags

Controllability leans toward the BM59

What are you guys think one versus the other. Obviously, as time goes on I might get the other. But times are uncertain and if one was going to only buy one, which way to go?

Thanks

Heath

• 3 weeks later...

While mine are both semi only, big issue I see is the availability and cost of magazines. I had my BM when the big import of kits happened and was able to get a bunch of mags when they were $25. Can't get near that now.

Personally, I just like the feel of the BM mor than the M1A

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, Rekraps said:

I have an original SA M1A select fire and really like it. With a little practice it can be shot on FA just fine. 

Gun Jesus sure does not like shooting the M14 on full auto.   I thought he was a bit histrionic about it.   I bet it is fun!

Well, he weighs about 135 lbs soaking wet. I can tell you that with practice, it can be shot reasonably well in FA. It's a great shooting gun and a blast! Of course they made a bipod that makes it really accurate.

Mine functions perfectly! I just shot it last weekend. Almost closed the range down!

I am thinking about purchasing a HK 51.  I think that will be fun as hell.  Of course, effective range is about 100 meters.  I love the look of the M14 and have a  M1a1. but no experience shooting full auto on that weapon.   The HK 51 will be a handful but I fired one about 20 years ago on full auto and was able to control it quite well.  Of course I am 6 foot 4 and weigh 225 and have monkey arms regarding length.  

It appears at the end he had a pretty good handle on it?   Indeed, he's a pretty "dainty" fella. I picture him driving a volkswagon jetta, not an F350? 

I have an HK51.  Shot it once.  Attempted to hit something at 100 yds. even with a factory scope and was unsuccessful, so I've never taken it out again.  I like blasters, but when I settle in on semi, I need to be able to hit things, and my gun didn't do it for me.   Back in the day I got it in a package.  MP5K, HK21, and HK51 all with one sear for 28K...those were the days.  The short barrel helps with recoil, but not so much on the accuracy end?  There had been an an HK51B for sale locally for a while, but the guy wanted insane money for it, even though odds were 95% that it didn't work.  I made an offer based on that and didn't get it.

There are good ways and bad ways of shooting an M14.  The physics reality is most 10 pound guns require practice and skills to get to where you want.  The mods done on the SOPMOD M14's made a huge difference in handling, but sadly that ship sailed long ago.  The upside is when you flip the switch to semi, you still have one of the top accuracy .308 rifles.   Everything is a tradeoff.

4 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

It appears at the end he had a pretty good handle on it?   Indeed, he's a pretty "dainty" fella. I picture him driving a volkswagon jetta, not an F350? 

I have an HK51.  Shot it once.  Attempted to hit something at 100 yds. even with a factory scope and was unsuccessful, so I've never taken it out again.  I like blasters, but when I settle in on semi, I need to be able to hit things, and my gun didn't do it for me.   Back in the day I got it in a package.  MP5K, HK21, and HK51 all with one sear for 28K...those were the days.  The short barrel helps with recoil, but not so much on the accuracy end?  There had been an an HK51B for sale locally for a while, but the guy wanted insane money for it, even though odds were 95% that it didn't work.  I made an offer based on that and didn't get it.

There are good ways and bad ways of shooting an M14.  The physics reality is most 10 pound guns require practice and skills to get to where you want.  The mods done on the SOPMOD M14's made a huge difference in handling, but sadly that ship sailed long ago.  The upside is when you flip the switch to semi, you still have one of the top accuracy .308 rifles.   Everything is a tradeoff.

I too shot the H&K51 while stationed in Germany in the 80's. I personally did not like the gun because of the sights, and like you I was so used to American style sighting systems that I could not hit anything. I did like the German rations though..... came with beer!

4 hours ago, Rekraps said:

I too shot the H&K51 while stationed in Germany in the 80's. I personally did not like the gun because of the sights, and like you I was so used to American style sighting systems that I could not hit anything. I did like the German rations though..... came with beer!

I am wondering if you shot a H&K G3 (7.62 x 51) ) or a Hk 33 (5.56mm) as the HK51 is the 8 1/2 inch barrel version of the G3 that was never a factory option.   Gun Jesus does not shooting the HK51 either.

I have a 33, 93, and a couple 91's all set up, but have yet to run them.    The sights were not the reason I could not hit anything, as I was bench resting the gun with the HK scope.  I suspect the bullets don't stabilize in that barrel?  At that length and twist? I didn't really expect it to, but was curious. 

Part of Jebus's problem is he has a short time window since he doesn't own any of that stuff.  Quick research, quick video, and move on to the next gun.  He targets and covers the basics to amuse the general public, not for advanced collectors who own the stuff.  The videos cater to 99.9999% of the gun public, not the .0001 of some of us, which would be a lousy business plan.

12 hours ago, NFA amnesty said:

I am wondering if you shot a H&K G3 (7.62 x 51) ) or a Hk 33 (5.56mm) as the HK51 is the 8 1/2 inch barrel version of the G3 that was never a factory option.   Gun Jesus does not shooting the HK51 either.

It was the 7.62 x 51 version. I'm getting so old that my  memory sometimes plays tricks. But this I remember.

11 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

I have a 33, 93, and a couple 91's all set up, but have yet to run them.    The sights were not the reason I could not hit anything, as I was bench resting the gun with the HK scope.  I suspect the bullets don't stabilize in that barrel?  At that length and twist? I didn't really expect it to, but was curious. 

Part of Jebus's problem is he has a short time window since he doesn't own any of that stuff.  Quick research, quick video, and move on to the next gun.  He targets and covers the basics to amuse the general public, not for advanced collectors who own the stuff.  The videos cater to 99.9999% of the gun public, not the .0001 of some of us, which would be a lousy business plan.

If anything ever happens to you, I'm on the first plane to "assist" your relatives with the liquidation of the estate. :)

14 hours ago, Rekraps said:

It was the 7.62 x 51 version. I'm getting so old that my  memory sometimes plays tricks. But this I remember.

I think your memory is just fine.  You remembered the beer ration the Germans received.  Zwei Bier Bitte.

22 hours ago, Rekraps said:

If anything ever happens to you, I'm on the first plane to "assist" your relatives with the liquidation of the estate. :)

Plane is not going to do you much good.  Think about getting a CDL.  Good thing there are manuals to help you disassemble the M3AA mount, but that yoke will still be a nut buster!  I'm sure it will be a "cash and carry" sale......with emphasis on the carry.

FWIW, Smith Enterprise makes a muzzle brake for the M14 that actually does work.  Brownell's has them for $150.  One of the guys at my club put one on his M14 and was pleased at the increase in controllability.

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2024 at 6:42 AM, DINK said:

FWIW, Smith Enterprise makes a muzzle brake for the M14 that actually does work.  Brownell's has them for $150.  One of the guys at my club put one on his M14 and was pleased at the increase in controllability.

I just looked on the site and the pic sucks. Do you have yours installed? Can you post a pic?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a bit dated, but Ian tried out the BM59 and seemed to think it was a bit smoother than the M14.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_frRgyaCkY&pp=ygUEQm01OQ%3D%3D

The Legacy Arms Youtube videos also make the BM59 look much smoother. Jason handles the BM59 pretty well, but the M14 pushes him back a step. Granted it looked like some kind of shortened M14 that might have been lighter.

ETA: I’ve never shot either, just took an interest recently and watched those videos. 

Edited by Slowmo
Disclosure