Tippmann M2 Full Auto...questions.....

I got in an M2 Tippmann miniature for a client and It appears to be unfired but and some point in its life, some moron didnt have the barrel indexed propperly while dry firing it, gouged the shit out of the front of the bolt face/track where the case rim feeds through. Well I got that fixed but now Im asking myself a stupid question-is this thing an open bolt or closed bolt system? The 1919 full auto guns are closed bolt, But doing an online search shows a full auto one on YouTube firing as an open bolt gun. He wanted me to check this thing over before taking it out so Im doing my checks and Im not sure on the open bolt part. It would appear to work perfectly as an open bolt except the firing pin is not protruding past the bolt face at all, tho it is fixed in place via brazing.

This doesnt make sense to me, but with only 43 made in the US, who knows what they did to make these work.

post-260063-0-17983100-1647866401_thumb.jpg

I have examples of the FA 1917, 1919a4 and a semi A4, and they are striker fired, closed bolt.

I've never heard that the M2s were open bolt.

I assume they are also striker fired since that's the system used on the others.

Pic of striker and A4 bolt.

Edited by BRMCII

It has a striker that was brazed solid to the bolt assembly. I had to cut it loose as the firing pin didnt stick out to impact the rim AND it would have been in the way to file the rim slot on the bolt face. It appears to be setup as an open bolt gun and would fire as such but idk if its correct or not.

First one Ive had my hands on so idk.

Check out:

Nic Taylor Browning M2 Ma Deuce .22 Magnum on Google

Towards the end of the video the gun is disassembled and the bolt is seen in close up. It is completely different than the '17 and 'A4 types and appears to be an open bolt design with a very small pivoting "hammer" impacting the firing pin that looks like it functions the same way as the Colt '21 Thompson "hammer" does.

Very interesting to see how cleverly the M2 is designed and functions!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe all the .22s feed like the full-size guns in that the round is pulled rearward out of the belt then is dropped down a "T" slot and held in front of the firing pin hole till fired. The firing pin must be pulled back out of the way coming down then move forward to fire then retract to allow ejection and the feeding of the new round. Or does rimfire let you work around that?

Chris

You are correct when its a closed bolt but this M2 being and open bolt is a little odd and in my opinion down right scary! The firing pin is fixed in place and the entire rim has to pass over a fixed firing pin before coming into place for it to feed into the chamber and fire.

To me, making these as a full auto, was a complete after thought. After seeing how this mechanize works, I can honestly say its a wonder these ever worked on full auto and didnt out of battery all the time....you have a live round, rimfire no less, captures in a slot, and the entire rim is passing over a fixed firing pin while the bolt is moving to feed the round into the chamber. If the feed process isnt perfect and that round doesnt chamber perfect it can go boom really easy.