Barrel thread measure on the MP40

Hello,

My original barrel is 16mm x M1.5 RH.  I made a suppressor for it... don't recommend that as it, surprisingly, is not a fantastic host gun and some worry about hanging a can off such threading! haha  Unfortunately, I am not entirely clear that all original barrels had the same threading, but if yours seems closer to 16x1.5M, it probably is.

11 hours ago, buckeye10216 said:

Hello,

My original barrel is 16mm x M1.5 RH.  I made a suppressor for it... don't recommend that as it, surprisingly, is not a fantastic host gun and some worry about hanging a can off such threading! haha  Unfortunately, I am not entirely clear that all original barrels had the same threading, but if yours seems closer to 16x1.5M, it probably is.

Great, thanks! I was actually considering suppressing it but the "shortness" of the threading (esp with the early style front sight with the "hook") was a bit worrying. I guess making some kind of adapter would work but still as you mention the MP40 might not be the best host despite that. Thanks again

I am interested in why you would suppress a MP40? Bad ears (like me) maybe, or just for the heck of it? 

I ask because I suppressed my "K", as it had been in Vietnam, and likewise my M3, but never considered the MP40 as it was never (as far as I know) suppressed.

3 hours ago, Rekraps said:

I am interested in why you would suppress a MP40? Bad ears (like me) maybe, or just for the heck of it? 

I ask because I suppressed my "K", as it had been in Vietnam, and likewise my M3, but never considered the MP40 as it was never (as far as I know) suppressed.

I read (somewhere) that the Germans may have suppressed a few, but no original suppressors have been found, but idk.  I did not do it for historical reasons!  haha.  Did it so I would not get bad ears!  lol... and just because I could.  I had Tom Bowers design a custom adapter for my Vers375 can, so it could fit beneath that sight "hook".

Thank you hawksnest for the video.  That "ting, ting ting" sound is like mine and I personally find it annoying.  haha.  It is also a nose-heavy gun and with the can on, you can dig potatoes with it!

I also put a removable green dot on it (using a dovetail adapter on the rear sight), so the purists can start chucking tomatoes at me now!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 8:20 PM, Rekraps said:

Isn't the best answer here: Because I can? 😀 The threads seemed tempting and I wanted to check how/if this could be easily done. Seems the idea was bad so now I focus on another bad idea (because I can, hah): Suppressing an STG44... 

I have an M3 as well but would not like to thread the barrel as replacements are literally impossible to locate here. But an intergrally suppressed M3 (a la OSS style) would be slick

27 minutes ago, Beginner said:

Isn't the best answer here: Because I can? 😀 The threads seemed tempting and I wanted to check how/if this could be easily done. Seems the idea was bad so now I focus on another bad idea (because I can, hah): Suppressing an STG44... 

I have an M3 as well but would not like to thread the barrel as replacements are literally impossible to locate here. But an intergrally suppressed M3 (a la OSS style) would be slick

Well then, you replied to the right guy! See my thread on integrally suppressed M3's under the M3 Forum. Joe Jones built me a wonderful unit for my M3 and it's back deck quiet! Love it. And it looks great too.

5 minutes ago, Rekraps said:

Well then, you replied to the right guy! See my thread on integrally suppressed M3's under the M3 Forum. Joe Jones built me a wonderful unit for my M3 and it's back deck quiet! Love it. And it looks great too.

I will check out the thread, thanks! I would love to have someone local here hook me up with a similar setup but as mentioned all and any spares are crazy hard to find

1 minute ago, Beginner said:

I will check out the thread, thanks! I would love to have someone local here hook me up with a similar setup but as mentioned all and any spares are crazy hard to find

I think Joe provides a barrel...  god knows where he gets them.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:23 PM, Rekraps said:

I think Joe provides a barrel...  god knows where he gets them.

Sorry, I am very far from the US so no way of getting this kind of stuff from there. I have been searching here in Europe for ages and seems to be impossible to find

On 2/28/2023 at 3:34 PM, buckeye10216 said:

Curtis Tactical in Ohio makes a great integrally suppressed M3 silencer as well.

That's what we've been talking about! 

On 3/5/2023 at 4:16 PM, Mad Machinist said:

Suppressed MP 40? : r/ForgottenWeaponsSuppressed  MP40's were a thing......just not common :D

Interesting pic, because we all know that the barrel end cap/threads were put there for blank adaptors. This is the very first, and only pic I have ever seen of a wartime era, what appears to be a silenced MP38u40.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:14 PM, buckeye10216 said:

Glad we agree!

Ya, Joe is finishing up a S&W M76 integral can for me right now. In the past he made me M3 and Swedish K integrals. All are excellent.