Actuator

Hello All;
I found a source of 1928A1 actuators.  They appear to the the solid actuators that were part of the NAVY version.
I've been told the original "Chicago Typewriter"  used the 
"profile" actuator that was much lighter.  Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't the original gangster Thompson 1928 had the thin actuator?
If so, was there a part number that is different from the solid actuator?

I am trying to collect that era gun memorabilia.

Roy

image.png.8c77a9452de650f36c808cc110aab715.png

You are rambling a bit here. The original Thompsons with the thin actuator were the M1921 guns. Later some of these were modified to M1928 with a heavier actuator and a smaller, lighter recoil spring to slow/reduce the rate of fire.

Regarding part numbers original Colt/Auto Ordnance part numbers are in the realm of super-trivia and most people are not aware of what those numbers are. Unlike the WW2 military part numbers which are easily found on the internet and used by all.

Bob

• Like 1

The original numbers for the Colt's can be found in Colt era catalogs and handbooks. These numbers were sometime referred to as a "KEY NO" by Auto-Ordnance along with the name of the part needed or ordered, i.e., trip, trigger, rocker, etc. It was a simple process that involved approximately 50 parts. The process became a little more complicated with the introduction of the Model of 1927 and Model of 1928 as you needed to state the specific Thompson variation you wanted parts for. The actuator is an excellent example of Auto-Ordnance needing to know the specific Thompson variation after 1926 to ensure you were supplied the proper part. 

As stated above, it is all guesses without a few pictures showing us that you are talking about. Be advised 1928 actuators were made by Auto-Ordnance Corporation in West, Hurley (WH), New York in the 1970s/80s. These are cast parts, not made to proper specification and are worthless. Unfortunately, these WH actuators have fooled many a Thompson enthusiast. Another reason to post a few pictures.