looking for feedback on 1960s Yugo ammunition

On 5/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, StrangeRanger said:

Used it in my Yugo M49/57.  Reliable, seems consistent, but corrosive and dirty as all Hell.

I just finished up a spam can of it. No failures to fire, dull in finish, and very dirty. I just clean my gun each time.

Now I'm shooting 80's surplus and it looks better, but shoots the same.

I bought a ton of the Yugo surplus 7.62x25 when Navy Arms was selling out their stock @ $70 / 2100rd case shipped!  People were complaining and sending it back to Navy Arms because the primers were too hard for their Cz52s at the time...so they just blew it out to get rid of it.

As others have mentioned, it's corrosive, so know that going in and clean your gun after your outing.  In terms of quality it's some of the best of the surplus, IMO.  I ran it in a PPD-40 I used to own and currently run it in both my Yugo 49 and Yugo 56.

Edited by hkg3k

On 5/19/2023 at 2:56 PM, hkg3k said:

I bought a ton of the Yugo surplus 7.62x25 when Navy Arms was selling out their stock @ $70 / 2100rd case shipped!  People were complaining and sending it back to Navy Arms because the primers were too hard for their Cz52s at the time...so they just blew it out to get rid of it.

As others have mentioned, it's corrosive, so know that going in and clean your gun after your outing.  In terms of quality it's some of the best of the surplus, IMO.  I ran it in a PPD-40 I used to own and currently run it in both my Yugo 49 and Yugo 56.

What a great point! The ammo was designed for the PPD and PPSH, not pistols, so the primer was intentionally hard to reduce the risk of out of battery fire as the round was fed into the chamber. I have no issue with any of the surplus stuff at all.

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, StrangeRanger said:

Also:

Weight of the bolt vs. weight of the gun.  The tail should not wag the dog

A rate of fire slow enough that it is possible for the shooter to trip singles while still in full-auto mode

This is exactly why I usually always buy surplus military ammo. It matters not who (meaning which country) manufactured it, most if not all military ammo is manufactured for super harsh conditions and years and years of storage. When I was in Germany in the mid 80's, we were still shooting WW2 .50 BMG! Right out of the bunkers! 

And the 7.62 x25 in the tins seems to be like a time capsule! May not look pretty, but it goes bang, AND it was designed for the SMG's we collect.