Will a steel lower function on the aluminum frame

22 hours ago, Countryboy77 said:

Not as long as it is in spec.Will just be lighter

On 6/13/2023 at 2:44 PM, choppero said:

Is there any problem using new aluminum lowers on older west hurley pistols?

So far I'm having issues with the one you sent. The lower catches the firing pin but will not release it unless i pull the bolt back a little and press the trigger at the same time.

lt is also catching the bolt and I cannot remove the frame from my reciever now.

1977 Production, 1927A5 upper and bolt DO NOT function on a AO Kahr Arms Production variation.

They have 2 different bolt styles and now my gun is stuck together. Didn't have any issues with my M1A1 lower from Kahr Arms but it also wouldn't shoot either, but it at least I could get my lower off.

5 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Your description is a bit lacking in details.  If you need help, pictures of the problem would be good.   

1927 Lightweight Lower vs M1 Lower

I took my Thompson over to my local gunsmith and we got the lower off of my reciever.

The lower would grab the firing pin but would not release the firing pin unless the bolt was held into an half open bolt position. The lower was also grabbing the bolt and dragging it with it instead of separating and we had to fashion a wire hanger to push the trigger from the inside to remove the lower off the upper.

Exactly the same new production Kahr Arms AO lowers and trigger groupings.

1927 Lightweight and M1 AO lower

imagejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.99f6f47c283b1a78f9cc9417f333dc14.jpg

1927 WH bolt in Recieve to M1 AO Bolt in reciever

imagejpeg_1.thumb.jpg.5980d0e641feb8c373a633f186daddc3.jpg

1927 WH and M1 AOimagejpeg_2.jpg.a11ffd5a75ca73f89bbfb58fda29d8d6.jpgimagejpeg_4.jpg.6654f425c5e728bdb96c81e569f0f8d5.jpg

1927A5 WH Bolt vs M1 AO Bolt

Differences circled in Red.

The WH bolt has a catch towards the back of the bolt and no semi sear cut like on the M1. Now having marking from a piece on the new 1927 lightweight lower I was given from the guy who had my original lower.

I don't remember what internals were looking like in my original, and apparently my original lower got torched and destroyed. 

imagejpeg_3.jpg.5a43c5430a93d69ab047cd345ef29bbb.jpg

If you remove the safety you can release the sear by reaching through the hole with a screw driver.  Whatever tolerances are different with the fit of the firing pin, by carefully filing it you could get it to release with a normal trigger pull if you wanted to.  Of course then it would pribably not work right if you tried to go back.

Very early west hurley guns had original m1a1 bolts modified into the semi configuration,  thus you would see a front and rear safety sear notch remnant cut in the bolt (like you have circled), still present.  But since the remnant of the front notch isnt there, its maybe a bit of a mystery what vintage bolt you have.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

If you remove the safety you can release the sear by reaching through the hole with a screw driver.  Whatever tolerances are different with the fit of the firing pin, by carefully filing it you could get it to release with a normal trigger pull if you wanted to.  Of course then it would pribably not work right if you tried to go back.

Very early west hurley guns had original m1a1 bolts modified into the semi configuration,  thus you would see a front and rear safety sear notch remnant cut in the bolt (like you have circled), still present.  But since the remnant of the front notch isnt there, its maybe a bit of a mystery what vintage bolt you have.  

A old one. Serial #193.

I saw that serials page for models of thompsons and it was the first batch of A5s thompsons from West Hurley. Any suggestions on how to get a functional lower then?

ive got a WH made in 1975     theres nothing i havent been able to interchange with any khar parts     i bought a couple extra bolts off gunbroker for semi autos and i just had to remove some of the parkerizing with some super fine sand paper and a bit of metal off the firing pin where it catches on the sear      if your firing pin isnt releasing you probably need to do a bit of filing     theres a lot of info on her about that     just a bit at a time      ive done a half dozen of them    

• Upvote 1