MP bolts question

Yes same exact bolt. The handle is different on later bolts and is the two piece locking design but either bolt will function with either gun but you can’t lock the bolt forward if your gun has the notch and you have the early bolt

The drop safety wasn't an early or late bolt thing. The drop safety was adopted in early 1942 and all guns produced after that time had it. Older guns were ordered to be modified at the same time but some escaped modification.

Here's a pic of my all matching bnz 41 MP40. It was originally produced with a hook-type cocking handle, but then modified with the addition of the drop safety. The inside of the bolt under the cocking handle shows evidence of grinding, such as Frank pictures in his books on the MP40. 

MVC-098S.JPG

MVC-096S.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 9:51 AM, TSMGguy said:

The drop safety wasn't an early or late bolt thing. The drop safety was adopted in early 1942 and all guns produced after that time had it. Older guns were ordered to be modified at the same time but some escaped modification.

Here's a pic of my all matching bnz 41 MP40. It was originally produced with a hook-type cocking handle, but then modified with the addition of the drop safety. The inside of the bolt under the cocking handle shows evidence of grinding, such as Frank pictures in his books on the MP40. 

MVC-098S.JPG

MVC-096S.JPG

My bnz 41 has the exact same machining marks.

The milling marks appear to be evidence of drop safety retrofitting. MP40s produced after the drop safety was introduced appear to have the drop safety/cocking handle assembly crimped into place. This is the same way that the hook/type cocking handles were originally installed.  

Edited by TSMGguy

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2023 at 10:45 AM, Roland the Thompsongunner said:

Yes same exact bolt. The handle is different on later bolts and is the two piece locking design but either bolt will function with either gun but you can’t lock the bolt forward if your gun has the notch and you have the early bolt

So there is no difference whatsoever between an MP38 bolt and an MP40 bolt if they have the same type (original) hooked cocking handle?

On 7/21/2023 at 12:26 PM, TSMGguy said:

The milling marks appear to be evidence of drop safety retrofitting. MP40s produced after the drop safety was introduced appear to have the drop safety/cocking handle assembly crimped into place. This is the same way that the hook/type cocking handles originally were originally installed.  

And they were made primarily by "ayf" so this mfg stamp may not match the rest of the gun (for instance my gun is a bnz, except for this locking lever which was installed in the field.. Look under the latch, the sleeve covers and uncovers a stamp.

2 hours ago, Rekraps said:

And they were made primarily by "ayf" so this mfg stamp may not match the rest of the gun (for instance my gun is a bnz, except for this locking lever which was installed in the field.. Look under the latch, the sleeve covers and uncovers a stamp.

Right, I think. The retro fitted safety knob on my all matching bnz 41 MP40 has a E37 stamp on the domed outside end, not E623 or E815 like the rest of the gun. The gun was probably originally produced with a hook type cocking piece.

The original red paint dot still shows on the safety when the knob is in the fire position.

Edited by TSMGguy

54 minutes ago, TSMGguy said:

Right, I think. The retro fitted safety knob on my all matching bnz 41 MP40 has a E37 stamp on the domed outside end, not E623 or E815 like the rest of the gun. The gun was probably originally produced with a hook type cocking piece.

The original red paint dot still shows on the safety when the knob is in the fire position.

Yep, I had wondered why this one piece was not "matching" but investigation proved it was because of replacements made in the field.

A repost of a picture of my MP40 BNZ41 which I bought from the son of the WWII vet that brought it home and registered it in the 1968 Amnesty.

Note the hook style bolt and unmodified receiver.

Also, a short video of firing it: https://youtu.be/xEh5zg_-ztU

Robert

MP40 Repost.jpg

Edited by Robert Henley

On 1/1/2024 at 10:31 AM, Robert Henley said:

A repost of a picture of my MP40 BNZ41 which I bought from the son of the WWII vet that brought it home and registered it in the 1968 Amnesty.

Note the hook style bolt and unmodified receiver.

Also, a short video of firing it: https://youtu.be/xEh5zg_-ztU

Robert

MP40 Repost.jpg

Mannnnn  Lucky you  !!!! Oh your video is set to private. 

14 hours ago, signal_4 said:

Mannnnn  Lucky you  !!!! Oh your video is set to private. 

Try it now.  I thought if you had the link, you could view it.  I think you can now.

Robert

I think what happened is I didn't answer the question about "saved for kids" (which I didn't think was relevant) and it defaulted to the original private setting.  I answered it this time, so should work.  Obviously not that familiar with YouTube settings.  Hopefully works now.

6 minutes ago, Robert Henley said:

I think what happened is I didn't answer the question about "saved for kids" (which I didn't think was relevant) and it defaulted to the original private setting.  I answered it this time, so should work.  Obviously not that familiar with YouTube settings.  Hopefully works now.

Yes Sir ! It plays now !!! Great video ! 

Looking good, Robert!

My own bnz 41 MP40 runs the same way. It seems to like 124 gr. NATO 9mm M882 the best and will run more slowly and occasionally short stroke with Winchester 115 gr. white box.

Edited by TSMGguy

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my "new" (as new) FBP bolt and recoil assembly. Fits the gun perfect and engages the sear nicely. Anyone out there know how to remove the FBP recoil end plate? It has two small holes (obviously for a special tool) at the end. Solutions?

Well, here's the quick and dirty solution:  Find two drill bits that fit in the holes.  Stick them in the holes so they are nice and straight and parallel to each other.  Wrap a little tape around them to keep them lined up.  Now take this assembly and clamp it in your vise so the ends of the drill bits stick up about a quarter of an inch.  There's your "custom built" spanner wrench.  Just slip the two holes over the drill bits and twist the recoil assembly by hand or with a strap wrench.  I seem to recall there was a hole drilled through the recoil assembly so you can slip a metal bar of some sort (a screwdriver?) through it and use that to twist.

Obviously it's better to make (or have made) a proper wrench for this application, but you won't be taking the thing apart too often..

1 hour ago, DINK said:

Well, here's the quick and dirty solution:  Find two drill bits that fit in the holes.  Stick them in the holes so they are nice and straight and parallel to each other.  Wrap a little tape around them to keep them lined up.  Now take this assembly and clamp it in your vise so the ends of the drill bits stick up about a quarter of an inch.  There's your "custom built" spanner wrench.  Just slip the two holes over the drill bits and twist the recoil assembly by hand or with a strap wrench.  I seem to recall there was a hole drilled through the recoil assembly so you can slip a metal bar of some sort (a screwdriver?) through it and use that to twist.

Obviously it's better to make (or have made) a proper wrench for this application, but you won't be taking the thing apart too often..

Perfect solution, I never thought of a "backward" tool like that. Thanks so much!

On 1/3/2024 at 11:12 AM, TSMGguy said:

Looking good, Robert!

My own bnz 41 MP40 runs the same way. It seems to like 124 gr. NATO 9mm M882 the best and will run more slowly and occasionally short stroke with Winchester 115 gr. white box.

Ditto, the 124 grain runs best in mine. A tad slower, but no issues.