OOW 1918A3 "Jungle BAR" modifications

I am interested in modifying an OOW 1918A3 to resemble the experimental "Jungle Warfare BAR" as depicted in the Ballou reference book. Shortening the barrel to 16'' and moving the front sight (and also cutting down the piston and gas tube), installing WWI-pattern stock and handguard, and installing a WWI-pattern rear sight. Also possibly reprofiling the magazine insertion guide to the WWI-pattern without the wings and then maybe even refinishing the whole thing so that it's blued and not parked.

Is this feasible? Do WWI-pattern handguards and stocks fit on the OOW model without modifications? Same thing with the rear sight? And probably most importantly, who is generally regarded as the best gunsmith who works on OOW's to do some (or all) of this work?

1i3xvkh5xzu41.jpeg

Edited by velken

OOW makes a 16” BAR, just not in the configuration you want. I would imagine they have most of the parts to assemble one very close to what you want.  Whatever parts they don’t have, BMG or Apex might have.

The question is does OOW have time for a custom build?  They would be my first call. 

Deerslayer would be my second call. He could build that for you from an M1918a3 or a A1918.  The A1918 would be easier to do since it is a semi M1918.  You can check out some of his BAR and Colt R80 Monitor builds on YouTube. 

Deerslayer’s company

My OOW A1918 and Colt 1911:

IMG_8049.jpeg

PS:

I have been thinking…. A 16” H.C.A.R with M1918 wood, Knight Armament SR25 MAMS muzzle brake, and BAR iron sights front and back would be a cool Modern R80 Monitor.   Drinking Bourbon right now so cut me some slack.

Edited by minimike
Spelling

The grips attach to the squared part of the gas tube assembly.  This is the same size and shape on original full auto and semi auto guns so grips will fit either.

Ive shortened and moved back the barrel, sight, gas tube, and piston (i spin a new piston on the lathe).  

Rear sight fit is also the same between full and ohio semi's. 

Cheers!

That's an interesting project you propose.  Deerslayer would be my go-to guy for a build like this. He's worked with me on a couple of Monitor projects and he's top-flight.  I wish OOW still offered the semi-auto receiver kits. Those worked great for these kinds of projects.