MP40 Grips Not Fitting

19 hours ago, zavrit said:

Thanks.  I removed the pistol grip frame from the lower and stripped it completely.  I took an "L" shape custom punch that I made and removed the bent/deformed areas on both sides.  Flattened about 50% of the way.  Then *carefully* clamped the stripped lower in a padded table vice and hit with a plastic mallet.  Hit a couple of times, then checked for movement using one of the grip panels.  After it moved about half way, I took my "L" shape punch and flattened the bent metal so it is completely flat.  Then put back in the padded vice and hit it a couple of times and checked with the panel.  Kept doing this until the grip panels fit perfectly.  It did not want to go back into shape and had to hit the pistol grip frame with quite a bit of force.  The plastic mallet did not cause any cosmetic issues and it turned out great.  

Really good work. 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread motivated me to re-look at the MP40 that had the bent frame.   I remember after having it straightened the grip panels fit much better than they do today.   I ended up taking the grips off and discovered they had bowed inward over the years.  The ends of the screw were no longer flush, stuck out and uncomfortable to grip.    I hit it very very lightly with a heat gun and with a bit of assistance, they went back to their original shape.   They now fit as well as the grips shown above.   I was amazed how pliable/soft they became with minimal heat.  I'm assuming the grips got hot sitting in the sun during a summer shoot.