What are your thoughts on this Sten stock?

21 minutes ago, Rekraps said:

That is just too cool! I don't understand why a better stock was not mated with this gun in WW2... you guys are doing this in your basement!

At the start of things the Brits had no use for pistol grip stocks. They wanted everything to match the IMNSHO extremely awkward and uncomfortable SMLE stock which virtually requires the "bladed" competition shooting stance as shown in both the Lanchester and the Sten manuals.  The idea of tucking one's elbows in was simply "not how things are done." By 1944 probably due in part to their exposure to the TSMG they seem to have gotten over their obsession therefore the Mk5 Sten. 

10 hours ago, Waldo said:

I really like that stock. I do not remember ever seeing one like that before. Did you make it? Do you know where I can get another one? Thanks.

I didn't make the stock, it came with a MKIII lower in a partial parts kit.  I've never seen another stock like this one and don't know its origin.  

These are two pics showing original condition.  The paint appeared original when disassembling the lower and the stock paint and wear is a match to the lower.  

IMG-1898r.jpg

IMG-1899r.jpg

Photo #3 from your original post shows several welds, including one area that was ground down (where the rod contacts the rear of the handguard).  By "several" I mean by Sten standards. The whole point of its purpose, design, and manufacture was simplicity and expediency.  A stock this complicated offers neither.  With its cannibalized thumbhole from a T-stock, I'll bet a box of bullets that this is an after-market hybrid.  Interesting, but not British war production.

10 hours ago, 2ndArmored said:

Photo #3 from your original post shows several welds, including one area that was ground down (where the rod contacts the rear of the handguard).  By "several" I mean by Sten standards. The whole point of its purpose, design, and manufacture was simplicity and expediency.  A stock this complicated offers neither.  With its cannibalized thumbhole from a T-stock, I'll bet a box of bullets that this is an after-market hybrid.  Interesting, but not British war production.

Thanks.  I appreciate the feedback.