Suggestions for removing the buttplate (2nd attempt)

Seeking help from the masses......

I recently obtained 2 complete buttstock assemblies.  I want to break them down to the individual components (swivels, attachment points, buttplates) so that I can clean them.

Everything was going fine until I tried to remove the butt plates.  I can't get either one of them off because the large screws just won't move.  I tried using some WD-40 around the screw in the hopes that maybe it would seep down and help loosen the screws......but didn't have any luck.

Would anyone have any suggestions ?  I'd like to try and do this without destroying or damaging the screws.

Thanks in advance,

Gene

Edited by Lawman9328

• Lawman9328 changed the title to Suggestions for removing the buttplate (2nd attempt)

Gene,

The removal of the large butt plate screw requires the butt stock to be held firmly in a vise with the proper padding that does not damage the wood. Obtain a large screw driver with a square shaft with a blade that fits the large screw slot. The blade fit does not have to be perfect; near perfect will work. These will usually be screw divers with long shafts. My square shafted screw driver is an old one by S-K.  With the butt stock held securely, insert the screw driver in the screw lot with forward pressure and use a large crescent wrench mounted around the screw driver square shaft to break the large butt stock screw loose. The trick is having the proper equipment.  

• Like 1

Great advice.

This post reminded me that I have a 148 year old Martini Henry, MKI converted to MkII; and I have had a MK1 butt plate to replace the MK II butt plate for some time, but never goy around to swapping them over. 

Edited by rpbcps
Typo

2 hours ago, Frank Iannamico said:

Try an impact screwdriver, I have used these in the past for stubborn screws, if you don't want to buy one, try a motorcycle mechanic, a common tool for M/C work    

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=impact screwdriver

This is what I often use. Even if not used as impact driver they have good handles. 

I used Kroill several times thinking it worked so well it must have been looser than I thought. 

I've also been impressed with how difficult the large butt plate bolt can be to remove on a Thompson. There's something about the original design that allows the wood to get a death grip on the bolt for virtually its entire length.

Just wanted to pass along my thanks to those that offered suggestions.  I went with a combination of them (heat, vice, bigger screwdriver, etc) and was able to finally get the butt plates off.

After breaking down the buttstocks into their individual component I found the stocks are stamped with a "W" (Wild Fowler Decoy) but there really aren't any markings on any of the other hardware.  However, one of my attachment mechanisms was stamped with a 4-digit number.  I've seen frequent mention of butt plates and stocks being numbered but haven't really seen anything concerning the attachment devices being numbered.  Was this a common occurrence ?

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.