Range Impression of my New Swedish K

So I recently discovered a new indoor ranged about 8 minutes from my home.  In fact it is the only indoor range in all of central Oregon.  The owner just opened it up a few months ago and allowed me to demonstrate shooting my Swedish K.  He previously allowed someone to  shoot 5.56 on full auto and the person could not control the weapon and sprayed rounds on the side of the range which has ballistic panels.   When I contacted him about shooting a sub gun at his range, he allowed me to bring one of my 9mm weapons to demonstrate.  

Decided to take my Swedish K since I have not fired it yet and thought why not.  I first loaded up 10 rounds only and told him I have not shot the weapon and wanted to make sure the sear would engage the bolt and if I had a run away would just keep the weapon aimed down range.  The range is high tech and has some type of ballistic screen and you can project traditional style targets onto the screen or over 30 shooting games that you can engage in.  

The K did awesome with the 10 rounds and then he wanted me to do a mag dump.  Okay twist my arm.   Fired 36 rounds onto the target, locked bolt to the rear, removed the mag.  and we both looked at the target together.  He wanted to make sure no issues (damage) with the screen shooting full auto.  He also wanted to check me out for control.  I must say he was very impressed with the K.

The projected image will show all your impacts in red and it appeared most of the rounds were on the silhouette target.  I shot to the right of center but thought not bad for the first time shooting the K.  Weapon stayed right on target, and no recoil which I expected.  One of the smoothest open bolt guns I have fired.  However I think my MP40 might be slightly better.   Next time I will bring both and compare and contrast but sure had fun.  

I offered to let the owner of the range shoot the K but he was going to teach a class and had to get ready as the students were coming in.  I gave him a rain check.  He will let me know if I can continue shooting full auto at this range but he appeared to be very happy and needs to talk with the other owner.  If all is good, will have a membership and each machine gun that checks out on the range will be added to my profile.  He will only allow folks who can demonstrate full auto control to use the range as such.  I still have a big smile on my face.

Edited by NFA amnesty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rekraps said:

So I too found a new range, it’s called my backyard! Here is one of my K’s with a custom integral can built to exactly replicate the can used in Vietnam by SOG. Note no earplugs! 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0eaFoNsB38TukeJoxWtkggtmQ

Awesome.  We use to shoot on BLM land but so many homeless, has been a safety issue.  A guy ended up in prison for manslaughter when he was target shooting and a bum was living behind the berm and got hit by a stray round.  

Do not ever sell that gun.  Scroll through the “K” forum and read my historical overview of the Wilson guns.  They are keepers.  And, John Andrewski will super duper upgrade your gun. I keep one in original Kpist condition and the other is a museum quality Swedish Army green gun in brand new condition. 

This is the upgraded unit. The KPIST gun (still a super nice K) is the one I shoot. Andrewski did the work on the upgraded unit. Even the spring is blued. 

thumbnail_IMG_5508.jpg

15 hours ago, NFA amnesty said:

Wow, great looking K's you have my friend.

Thanks. After doing a bit of research on the gun, and then even more research on the units here in the US, and then after finally getting one, I decided to double up on the fun. These guns are outstanding and 100% reliable. Great design, great looking and great shooting. 

But.... The accessories & spare parts can set you back! Try finding shrouds, barrels, grips. You almost have to buy a full parts kit to get them. Plus, the shroud on the green gun has a bayonet lug. I got lucky and found that part a few years ago. 

Scott, I know where you live and that doesn't look like your back yard, but then I didn't do much looking past the guns on display!  I used to shoot in my back yard and just over the hill from my house, but now there are other houses there and the folks inside don't look kindly on me doing that any more!  Ah, those were the days.  My first K looked almost identical to your green one, sadly it was sold, but my "new" one shoots just fine even if it is grey like your KPIST.  Thankfully there are still lots of places within a few minutes of me that afford me some shooting space, and most all the LEO's are gun guys and don't put up any fuss unless a local complains a lot.  That's what suppressors are for!

15 hours ago, BillinBama said:

Scott, I know where you live and that doesn't look like your back yard, but then I didn't do much looking past the guns on display!  I used to shoot in my back yard and just over the hill from my house, but now there are other houses there and the folks inside don't look kindly on me doing that any more!  Ah, those were the days.  My first K looked almost identical to your green one, sadly it was sold, but my "new" one shoots just fine even if it is grey like your KPIST.  Thankfully there are still lots of places within a few minutes of me that afford me some shooting space, and most all the LEO's are gun guys and don't put up any fuss unless a local complains a lot.  That's what suppressors are for!

I'm lucky that my property, although in an semi-urban area meets all GA and Cobb County requirements for shooting! I just do so carefully and safely. 

2 hours ago, Rekraps said:

I'm lucky that my property, although in an semi-urban area meets all GA and Cobb County requirements for shooting! I just do so carefully and safely. 

You're very lucky. I'm from your neck of the woods. I've been looking at trying to buy some land to shoot and recreate up the 575 corridor, but prices are just unreal right now. I also don't have a very good idea of how much acreage you need to shoot on your own property. I suspect the terrain/backstop and surroundings are more important than the amount of acreage.

21 hours ago, Slowmo said:

You're very lucky. I'm from your neck of the woods. I've been looking at trying to buy some land to shoot and recreate up the 575 corridor, but prices are just unreal right now. I also don't have a very good idea of how much acreage you need to shoot on your own property. I suspect the terrain/backstop and surroundings are more important than the amount of acreage.

You are right about property prices. I wanted to get 25 - 50 acres of land up 75 (Elijay north, or Cedartown west) but the prices are too high just to by raw land. In Cobb County (I live near Kennesaw Mountain) the rule is you can shoot on unincorporated land, as long as where you shoot FROM is at least 150 feet from any public road, AND you must shoot only on your property unless you have permission in writing from your neighbor. I got lucky and my lot is perfect. The rules say nothing about backstop, but I guess common sense says you have to be safe. i set up a bunch of hay bales against a 25 foot high hill, so all is well. Plus I only shoot subsonic stuff (and my M79 of course). 

Gerogia Firing Line allows FA firing at their indoor range.

2 hours ago, Rekraps said:

You are right about property prices. I wanted to get 25 - 50 acres of land up 75 (Elijay north, or Cedartown west) but the prices are too high just to by raw land. In Cobb County (I live near Kennesaw Mountain) the rule is you can shoot on unincorporated land, as long as where you shoot FROM is at least 150 feet from any public road, AND you must shoot only on your property unless you have permission in writing from your neighbor. I got lucky and my lot is perfect. The rules say nothing about backstop, but I guess common sense says you have to be safe. i set up a bunch of hay bales against a 25 foot high hill, so all is well. Plus I only shoot subsonic stuff (and my M79 of course). 

Gerogia Firing Line allows FA firing at their indoor range.

No kidding, I live right by KM and am a member at GFL. I thought I recognized that floor pattern in one of your photos at the range.

Okay, took the MP40 out to the range and shot several hundred rounds.  Here is my take on K VS MP40.  MP40 is very smooth and holds down on target just a tad better for me than my K.  Of course this is based on my shooting skills (not great) and 20 years shooting a MP40.  However the sights on the K are better and weapon is stout regarding the feel of the K and the 36 round magazines.  The MP40 is a great subgun but overall the award goes to the K.  It comes down to the magazines and how sturdy the weapon is. 

If I had to grab one and go into combat, the K is the winner. 

12 hours ago, NFA amnesty said:

Okay, took the MP40 out to the range and shot several hundred rounds.  Here is my take on K VS MP40.  MP40 is very smooth and holds down on target just a tad better for me than my K.  Of course this is based on my shooting skills (not great) and 20 years shooting a MP40.  However the sights on the K are better and weapon is stout regarding the feel of the K and the 36 round magazines.  The MP40 is a great subgun but overall the award goes to the K.  It comes down to the magazines and how sturdy the weapon is. 

If I had to grab one and go into combat, the K is the winner. 

My impressions also.  Clearly the K, developed after the MP40 improved upon prior SMG designs.  To me, it just feels sturdier. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 9:39 AM, Slowmo said:

Yeah, astronomical prices in Cherokee County. My son lives in Canton and on a recent visit we went to a friend's land he recently purchased "out in the country" for mega-bucks.  I took a few of my "toys" and we let the grandkids shoot some FA pieces.  When Jonathan told me what his friend paid for the land I did a jaw drop, its just ridiculous. But he has enough acreage that shooting there isn't a problem. 

22 hours ago, BillinBama said:

Yeah, astronomical prices in Cherokee County. My son lives in Canton and on a recent visit we went to a friend's land he recently purchased "out in the country" for mega-bucks.  I took a few of my "toys" and we let the grandkids shoot some FA pieces.  When Jonathan told me what his friend paid for the land I did a jaw drop, its just ridiculous. But he has enough acreage that shooting there isn't a problem. 

Well then, next time you are down my way, drop me a note and I'll pack up a few goodies and we can shoot on the property!