Last weekend, I was invited to try out a public range (which I usually avoid like the plague).  It was wet, and it turned out to be a very bad day.  I didn't take photos, I was too busy performing first aid.  Yeah, things went bad wrong.

A guy at the range was going to shoot some 308's he had reloaded in his AR-10.  Fortunately he was using a benchrest with his left hand tucked back under the stock machine gun style, because on the first shot the rifle disintegrated.  I keep a pretty well stocked medical kit in the truck, and my military training took over.  After I got the bleeding under control and could do an assessment he had a lot of small, fairly minor cuts from shrapnel.  There were a couple that I thought should have stiches but I wasn't set up for that.  If his left arm had been forward holding the handguard....     There was a nice divot in his prescription glasses and the frames were bent, but they saved an eye.

He refused to call 911 and just wanted to go home.  He was a little shocky, so I stuffed him in my truck and followed one of his buddies that drove his car home.  His wife was >>not<< pleased!  She demanded that he go to a hospital for proper treatment, and I agreed wholeheartedly!  I did what I could, but sometimes you need a professional.

The guy stated that he bought a bottle of IMR 4064 at an estate sale and used it for the 308's.  He said that the powder looked different, but the bottle had the factory label, so he loaded with it.  While at his house and I checked the powder.  It was definitely not an IMR powder, I suspect an unknown pistol grade.  The grains looked like plump round flakes, or flattened ball.  It's likely someone recycled an empty powder bottle without removing the original label and it ended up getting sold.

If you think his wife was upset, should have heard mine when I came home covered in blood!  Get out of my way, I'm heading for the shower!

Please be very careful buying powder from any unknown source.  And of course, never shoot unknown reloads.

• Like 1

this is why only powder I use is new sealed containers, have picked up open powder in some lots, if its not sealed out it goes, rather waste 100 dollars worth powder than damage a firearm or worse myself

hope the guy is doing fine and a full recovery

16 hours ago, DougStump said:
Last weekend, I was invited to try out a public range (which I usually avoid like the plague).  It was wet, and it turned out to be a very bad day.  I didn't take photos, I was too busy performing first aid.  Yeah, things went bad wrong.

A guy at the range was going to shoot some 308's he had reloaded in his AR-10.  Fortunately he was using a benchrest with his left hand tucked back under the stock machine gun style, because on the first shot the rifle disintegrated.  I keep a pretty well stocked medical kit in the truck, and my military training took over.  After I got the bleeding under control and could do an assessment he had a lot of small, fairly minor cuts from shrapnel.  There were a couple that I thought should have stiches but I wasn't set up for that.  If his left arm had been forward holding the handguard....     There was a nice divot in his prescription glasses and the frames were bent, but they saved an eye.

He refused to call 911 and just wanted to go home.  He was a little shocky, so I stuffed him in my truck and followed one of his buddies that drove his car home.  His wife was >>not<< pleased!  She demanded that he go to a hospital for proper treatment, and I agreed wholeheartedly!  I did what I could, but sometimes you need a professional.

The guy stated that he bought a bottle of IMR 4064 at an estate sale and used it for the 308's.  He said that the powder looked different, but the bottle had the factory label, so he loaded with it.  While at his house and I checked the powder.  It was definitely not an IMR powder, I suspect an unknown pistol grade.  The grains looked like plump round flakes, or flattened ball.  It's likely someone recycled an empty powder bottle without removing the original label and it ended up getting sold.

If you think his wife was upset, should have heard mine when I came home covered in blood!  Get out of my way, I'm heading for the shower!

Please be very careful buying powder from any unknown source.  And of course, never shoot unknown reloads.

this is why I only shoot commercial or military surplus. Period.

Wow ! Good work on the First Aid Doug. You do what you can.

Sometimes saving a few $$ costs more in the long run. 

Like the guy who shoots Turk Surplus 8mm in a Transferable MG34, the ammo is cheap. The repair bill not so much........