Serial number look up….mine starts with a “R”…

I’ve searched everywhere but no-go on this serial number…. Anybody know anything about this one??

thanks….

Larry P

IMG_2814.jpeg

I know for certain that the "U" series guns (most of the ones out there) are non-military guns (police/civilian). I thought the military ones were "O" guns, but heck look what we have! Has the gun been welded?

Very interesting!

So I pulled both mine out of the gun room and the SN looks like this: MOD 76 Uxxxx. You gun does not even have the MOD 76 on it. Odd.

Some guns were made for the CIA or SOG personnel in Vietnam. Could this be one?

Could it the (R) mean rifle….??? I’m about to SBR it… it’s doesn’t even have a model number or caliber stamped on it…. 
this is all it has….folding stock, 16” barrel…. Don’t know…. 

IMG_2814.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

IMG_2816.jpeg

You maybe should have mentioned that this wasn't a S&W 76.  All the responses about "U" prefix S/Ns relate to the S&W guns and ONLY to them.

Edited by StrangeRanger

I think that MK Arms made "C" = carbine SNs, "S" = submachinegun SNs, and "P" = pistol guns.  "R" for rifle would make sense.  I'd have to go check Frank Iannamico's book since he has a good write up of all. 

At the end leading up to the MG manufacturing deadline, a lot of in-process guns being manufactured were finished as SMGs - regardless of the already designated serial numbers. 

10 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

You maybe should have mentioned that this wasn't a S&W 76.  All the responses about "U" prefix S/Ns relate to the S&S guns and ONLY to them.

100% correct! It's a MK760.... mystery solved. 

Sorry for confusion gentleman…. Just trying to learn about this thing…

Larry, don't worry about it, we're just busting your chops. Stranger Ranger is almost 250 years old now and means well. :)