Ian's new M1 Thompson video

43 minutes ago, Taliaferro said:

Too bad someone who owns the M28 doesn't know how to reassemble the upper bolt

assembly buffer.

Tracie 

He took the M1 apart quick enough. LOL FWIW, I noticed the M28 even has the "cool guy" quick assembly hole drilled in the buffer pilot shaft...

Karl

1 hour ago, 68coupe said:

He took the M1 apart quick enough. LOL FWIW, I noticed the M28 even has the "cool guy" quick assembly hole drilled in the buffer pilot shaft...

Karl

Which hole are you referring to, the one that lets you use a pin to retain most of the recoil spring for easy reassembly? 

13 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Which hole are you referring to, the one that lets you use a pin to retain most of the recoil spring for easy reassembly? 

That's the one.

1 hour ago, 68coupe said:

That's the one.

I didn't realize that wasn't "standard". My 41 AOC has one. 

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

I didn't realize that wasn't "standard". My 41 AOC has one. 

Does your AOC buffer pilot have a S or AOC on the flat part of the flange?

Colts and the early 1928 guns that went to Britain do not have the hole in the buffer pilot. Hole were also added to buffer pilots.

35 minutes ago, Bridgeport28A1 said:

Colts and the early 1928 guns that went to Britain do not have the hole in the buffer pilot. Hole were also added to buffer pilots.

I'll check when I get home. Not that it really matters, as the guns a mix master,so I doubt the pilots original to the gun. 

1 hour ago, Bridgeport28A1 said:

7 hours ago, rpbcps said:

Aaaand boopkis! PXL_20240502_012939878_MP.thumb.jpg.cff8fdb5a4f435e36651597b8db44816.jpg

Maine-iac,

If you do not find the letter "S" on the flange of the buffer pilot, do not use it as it may be an Auto-Ordnance West Hurley two-piece buffer pilot. These are dangerous as the rod and flange could separate when firing. You definitely do not want the rod flying out the back of the receiver when firing. If you need a USGI buffer pilot, Board member Phil Askew has some very nice ones in stock. Phil can be reached at: philfordparts@yahoo.com

Phil also has NOS recoil springs, another spare part to consider.  

I highly recommend you contact Board member PK. and purchase a couple of his polyurethane buffer discs. He has two types, both are excellent.

His email address is: p-k@q.com

PK may take a few days to reply but it is well worth the wait. I would guess two polyurethane buffers are under 20 bucks. 

Edited by TD.
Phil also has the Savage paddle safety levers.

39 minutes ago, Bridgeport28A1 said:

I do own an early Savage buffer pilot  that has the S stamped on the buffer side of the flange and not on the flat.

That would be the case here, as it turns out! PXL_20240502_024830710_MP.thumb.jpg.9b2c4cc82a66342cf525a33e20e807d2.jpg

1 hour ago, TD. said:

Maine-iac,

If you do not find the letter "S" on the flange of the buffer pilot, do not use it as it may be an Auto-Ordnance West Hurley two-piece buffer pilot. These are dangerous as the rod and flange could separate when firing. You definitely do not want the rod flying out the back of the receiver when firing. If you need a USGI buffer pilot, Board member Phil Askew has some very nice ones in stock. Phil can be reached at: philfordparts@yahoo.com

Phil also has NOS recoil springs, another spare part to consider.  

I highly recommend you contact Board member PK. and purchase a couple of his polyurethane buffer discs. He has two types, both are excellent.

His email address is: p-k@q.com

PK may take a few days to reply but it is well worth the wait. I would guess two polyurethane buffers are under 20 bucks. 

It turns out that it's a solid one piece Savage manufactured pilot, I appreciate the heads up in any case. 

I'll send a message to PK in the morning. I'm going to be putting together a small pile of sustainment parts. The neoprene washers are a locally sourced stopgap for the time being. 

Maine-iac,

That is a very early Savage buffer pilot with the "S" mark on the side of flange. Note the axis holes or centers on the end of the pilot. I mistakenly called these axis hole bevels for many years until a master machinist schooled me as to what I was looking at.  Is there a hole at the end of the long shaft? If not, the buffer pilot has not been modified. That said, it is common to find the early Savage (and all Colt) 1928 buffer pilots modified with a hole. If you observe enough of the early Savage or Colt buffer pilots, it is easy to tell if a mill or drill was used to make the hole. You definitely do not need a buffer pilot.  

Those with my first book, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story, can turn to page 136 to read about this early Savage buffer pilot. 

My Savage Commercial pilot has no hole in it and you will say some colorful words trying to get it assembled in the gun.

It either goes in on the first try like magic, or 20 tries with the spring squirting everywhere.

There must be some trick to it, there is no way that they would send something that frustrating to customers to deal with.

18 hours ago, Doug Quaid said:

My Savage Commercial pilot has no hole in it and you will say some colorful words trying to get it assembled in the gun.

It either goes in on the first try like magic, or 20 tries with the spring squirting everywhere.

There must be some trick to it, there is no way that they would send something that frustrating to customers to deal with.

I had a Thompson '28 Navy with the 'no hole' recoil rod. I bought a small vice grip tool and ground the outer part of the jaws (which I had taped over the teeth to prevent scraping the rod) so they  could reach into the upper to clamp on the rod and hold the spring in the retracted position while the rod was maneuvered into position.

As for "Forgotten Weapons" videos, I found them to be more infomercials than infotainment; and I can't say as I've ever saw anything that I hadn't read previously.  So I quit wasting my time watching them several years ago.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

TD, Deerslayer, et al,

Along the same lines as the drilled hole in the pilot shaft, would that be a reasonable thing to do on the recoil spring pilot shaft for my OOW 1918 SLR? It does not have nearly the cross section as the the Thompson, but the spring tension is greater. I have a vocabulary building time "threading the needle" when re-assembling it. I've done it with my West Hurley, using a Kahr recoil spring pilot (I didn't want to wreck the WH part). Thompson semis have a much lower spring tension. I haven't tried it on my OOW gun. I know, apples & oranges....but the question remains.

Thanks in advance, Karl, 68coupe

68coupe,

Sorry, but I know very little about a BAR or a OOW 1918 SLR.

I agree it is very difficult to install a 1928 recoil spring on a buffer pilot without a hole in the shaft. I have seen a number of Colt buffer pilots over the years modified by a hole in the pilot shaft. I don't think it is a deduction in value with this user modification because it makes the install much easier. Also, only the end of the buffer pilot is a visible when a Colt is on display.

The early Savage buffer pilots were the same as the Colt's as per the first contract. This changed fairly quickly in the production. I would guess many of the early buffer pilots were modified or thrown away and replaced. I believe the British and Canadians, early customers for the Savage guns, published a modification bulletin for this issue. 

5 hours ago, Merry Ploughboy said:

I had a Thompson '28 Navy with the 'no hole' recoil rod. I bought a small vice grip tool and ground the outer part of the jaws (which I had taped over the teeth to prevent scraping the rod) so they  could reach into the upper to clamp on the rod and hold the spring in the retracted position while the rod was maneuvered into position.

As for "Forgotten Weapons" videos, I found them to be more infomercials than infotainment; and I can't say as I've ever saw anything that I hadn't read previously.  So I quit wasting my time watching them several years ago.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Well, just make sure your read sight spot welds are good on your M1.