Estimated transferable war-time Thompsons?

12 hours ago, Lewisfan said:

I read the past posts re: guessing at number of transferable Colts. I'm curious if anyone has fancied a guess at the number of transferable 1928a1, M1, M1A types "out there"?

Today is your lucky  day!  The answer: LOTS!

I have to imagine the only accurate source for that information would be the ATF, and even that would be approximate.

Production numbers are meaningless when so many guns were dropped in the fields, jungles, and beaches, sold off to foreign nations after the war, dumped into the ocean, cut into parts kits, etc. Even if one were to file a FOIA request and actually have someone try to provide the information, the lack of continuity in registration information (misinterpreted serial numbers, variance in stated model, manufacturer entity, and location, etc), bastard post-war frankenguns, etc. would make it a monumentally tedious task at best. If you've ever seen some original amnesty forms, they were not picky about what was recorded, and the plethora of information that exists to guide us on the subject today did not back then.

Go get a job with the NFA branch and spend your lunch breaks counting them, then let us know!

• Like 1