Karr Or Auto Ord?

QUOTE (CHICAGO TYPEWRITER @ Oct 19 2006, 05:10 PM)
The number is K190043.  I bought this gun back in 98 or 99.  Karr had already made 190 thousand of this by that time? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Never ever try to determine number of guns by serial numbers... This is why wartime production guns are so confusing.... Numbers jump all over the board... Sanford(sp?) of AutoMag fame was a great one for this.... He started out high so it looked like the gun was already selling like pancakes..... Then he would go back and fill in the small numbers so in fact lower numbers were newer than the higher numbers.....

If they started at K190000 you would have the 43rd one made... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Friends don't let friends buy Ford

Friends don't let friends vote Democratic

Friends don't let friends spill their beers while driving

Friends don't let friends buy Kahr.

I got really lucky with my WH 27. Out of the box it ran really great and it also has a showroom blueing job on it. I look at these Kahr built 27's and I just can't help my self by thinking " what SHITTY craftsmanship for the price". I still did a ton of up grades, only for my personal likings. If I would do it all over again, I would start with a Doug Richardson receiver and then..............go from there.

I would E-mail Kahr for your Numbers.

Blah, blah, "karh bad" Blah, blah, "Karh stinks", Yackety smackety.....blah, blah..........bash, bash, punch line........got the idea and now....... fastfoward. Now that that is out the way. Does any one now where I can find some info outside the bottomless pit of customer service number? I've called and emailed. Hung up on and no reply.

Thx,

Bob

Kahr is no better with dealers. I rebuilt the lower of a WH 27 a few months ago and all I requested was that the dealer replace the parts used. It took 4 months to get the wholesale bugs worked out. Luckily I didn't need the parts during that time, but keep a set just incase.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Uberti 1873 Cattlemens SAA. IT is actually better quality then the ones made by Colt. It was rated as a better operating gun then the Colt. Better accuracy and all around better gun then the original.

Uberti really pays attention to the details of the originals. I bought a Henry Big Boy in .45 Long Colt, and after researching the history of the Henry, noticed how much better the Uberti company makes their guns. Also the price between the two companies is about 50% higher on the Uberti side. But you get what you pay for. I would be willing to bet that if Uberti made a 27 replica that it would sell in the area of $2,500 to $3,000. It would also work, and be identical to the Colt 27, providing that Colt didn't contest.

QUOTE (CHICAGO TYPEWRITER @ Oct 24 2006, 09:43 PM)
FYI.. Customer service wrote back.........

Dear Robert,
It is one of the first that Kahr manufactured.  It was manufactured on 12/13/99 and has an aluminum receiver.  It has never been returned for service.

Regards,
Dottie Herold
Customer Care Manager
Kahr Arms

aluminum ??? wth? Hmmmmm......

Hey that is twice that I was right, on the serial number thing....... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/woot.gif Not that I'm counting...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Does any one now where I can find some info outside the bottomless pit of customer service number? I've called and emailed. Hung up on and no reply.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/apathy.jpg

Seriously; I hope you get some help at Kahr with your gun! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I can't say I agree with the Uberti vs Colt quality evaluations. As an Old West reinactor for the past 10 years I have had much experience with both brands. Up until recently I had 3 Uberti SAA's, 3 Uberti black powder's, a Uberti Henry, 66 Win, and 73 Win. Along with those I had 6 Colt black powder's (3 original), 2 first gen SAA's, 1 2nd gen, and 3 3rd gen. I find the Uberti rifles to be of excellent quality and excellent shooters. The revolvers too are excellent shooters. But the quality of the revolvers does not compare with the Colts. I have replaced a number of springs in the revolvers due to breakage. (trigger and hand springs) The blanks we use constantly hang up the Uberti revolvers while the Colts shoot them smoothly without problems. I had to stone the star on one of the Uberti SAA's to get it to even cock without using both thumbs. The case coloring on the Ubertis cannot compare to the beautiful coloring on the Colts. Are the Colts overpriced? You bet they are. But so is 99% of everything we buy these days. And if you check out the recent price jumps on Uberti's products you'll find that they are too. And when you go to sell the Uberti you'll take at least a 25% loss unless you bought it really right. When I decided to thin out some of the Old West guns I sold the 66 for what I paid for it. I sold one Uberti SAA that I paid $200.00 for for $250.00. I gave one to my girlfriend and one to my dad. The black powder I broke even on. In contrast I sold 2 blackpowder Colts to friends for what I paid for them, and 2 Colt SAAs for $200.00 profit each. I can't say that I am impressed with what the Colt factory is putting out these days, especially when I see the prices they are asking. But if you tear apart a Colt SAA and a Uberti SAA and look at the difference in the fit and finish of the parts inside you will see why the Colt costs 3-4 times as much. I realize the factory workers at Colt get paid far more than they do at Uberti which raises the price, but I've never broken a Colt, and I've broken at least 3 Ubertis. And the Colt's got a lot more rounds through them than the Ubertis did. Sorry for rambling on but that's just my opinions based on experience.

P.S. I would however like to see them make a 27 Thompson. They do try their best to follow the originals.

PhilOhio, It's funny but their rifles seem to be case colored very well. One of the guys in our group has a 73 short rifle with nice coloring on it. My 73 is a blued carbine that has very thin case coloring on the lever. And the black powder revolvers I've had seemed to be colored better than the SAAs. I still have a Uberti Walker and Patterson. They are both very nice. The factory warns about how easily the charcoal bluing wears and they are right. The backstrap of the Walker took very little time wearing down to bare metal. I recently sold a Pedersoli Sharps to raise money for an M1A. If that Sharps was representitive of the work that they do then they are the ones we should talk into recreating the 27 Thompson. The fit, finish and overall quality of that rifle was outstanding.