Westy Leo Thompsons Made In 1992

I noticed that West Hurley made 141 Thompson SMGs in 1992 that were for law enforcement only.... link to info.

Does anyone know if these guns were purchased by police/law agencies?

It seems odd that any police department would want to buy a new Thompson in 1992. If Kahr got them when they bought out WH, then maybe they have them. This would mean that they have full-autos to test there drums on!

I'm just wondering what happened to the orphan Thompsons that can't be transfered to civilians. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I figure that these were receivers that were made (or being made) in May of '86 and they didn't make it on the registry in time. Due to this, they just finished them out as LEO guns even though they knew that PDs were unlikely to buy them.

Norm

Norm

I believe these were the 10mm guns ordered by the FBI.

Following the 1980's Miami "shoot out" between the FBI and two local (though highly trained) turds, the "bureau," after much hand wringing and soul searching, concluded the "cause" of the tragedy was the lack of "FBI" firepower. They actually ordered S&W 10mm handguns and WH 10mm TSMGs believing this would carry the day in any future incidents.

Can you picture one of the S&W 1076 full size 10mm handguns "neatly" tucked under the jacket of a federal agent? The stupid things should have come with wheels. Needless to say they were not well received by the agents and were quickly replaced with Sig 40S&W and 9mm pistols. I'm told the TSMGs were destroyed.

1921A

QUOTE (1921A @ Dec 19 2006, 02:31 PM)
Norm

Following the 1980's Miami "shoot out" between the FBI and two local (though highly trained) turds, the "bureau,"  after much hand wringing and soul searching, concluded the "cause" of the tragedy was the lack of "FBI" firepower.  They actually ordered S&W 10mm handguns and WH 10mm TSMGs believing this would carry the day in any future incidents. 

Can you picture one of the S&W 1076 full size 10mm handguns "neatly" tucked under the jacket of a federal agent?  The stupid things should have come with wheels.  Needless to say they were not well received by the agents and were quickly replaced with Sig 40S&W and 9mm pistols.  I'm told the TSMGs were destroyed.

1921A

Gee...It must be nice to be able to buy any kind of firearm when you fear for your safety (or the bureau's safety.) Remeber when a common American Joe coud do that?!

I have owned a couple of S&W 4506s; which is the same as the 1006, 1076, etc. except that it is as .45 caliber.

I really liked the gun except for the fact that it weighs ton!

Norm

"We should have had more people."

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Guest hardrede

Had to jump in here again, sorry.

FWIW I had 2 of these Post 86 receivers on a law letter. Got them direct from West Hurley. I transferred them out to two C3's. They were 45ACP and the machine work was fair/poor. The ejection port was the worst part. I am pasting my copy of my bound book entries that I kept a duplicate of on my computer.

1928 Thompson 3051A MG .45 Sample 31-Oct-00 Auto Ordnance Corp. Williams Lane West Hurley, New York 614056072B06625 2-Jul-01

1928 Thompson 3064A MG .45 Sample 31-Oct-00 Auto Ordnance Corp. Williams Lane West Hurley, New York 614056072B06625 17-Oct-02

I only paid $550 each for the receivers. I had an option for up to 10 but back in 2000 could not find 1928 parts kits!

BTW I KNOW some of you assholes (AF) will not believe me, but I have the in and outgoing Form 3's if you want me to post em!

Edited by hardrede

This thread asks an excellent question, one that certainly needs more research. I remember when the FBI was 10mm crazy. It was unbelievable when the Bureau continued with the 10mm knowing full well the .40 S&W was about to appear on the scene. Obviously, the people in charge of weapon selection did not have to lug around a weapon for 10 to 12 hours a day. I believe somewhere I read the FBI had a company convert some of their Thompson's to fire 10mm. I was thinking that the company was Numrich Arms, but again, I may be way off base on this.

Since we are on the topic, let me ask - Is possible to convert a Colt or military 28A1 Thompson to 10mm? If so, I would think this would have been the route the FBI took for prototype testing. Randall's information is the most definitive information I have ever seen on this block of Law Enforcement Only Thompson’s. Since Randall only purchased receivers, I wonder if any assembled Thompson’s were sold. Or was it only receivers to Class III manufacturers? Randall, do you recall?

I remember when the FBI was 10mm crazy. It was unbelievable when the Bureau continued with the 10mm knowing full well the .40 S&W was about to appear on the scene.

Be glad that they did goto the 50AE! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Imagine lugging around a Desert Eagle .50 cal all day!

Post sample confusion.

Agreed. Anything made after 5/19/1986 [and] sold to FFL domestically is considered a "post sample." If the FBI or any "government agency" ordered them, and they did, the term post sample does not apply until such time as the "agency" transfers them domestically via FFL. Those guns 10mm or otherwise, listed by AOC/WH as LEO restricted were intended for that market. No doubt, they did sell some to FFL's.

The term "post sample" is nothing more than a control label for post '86

MGs in the hands of civilian FFL holders.

Greg Fox

Guest hardrede

If I remember our conversations correctly, the lady at WH stated that they only had receivers. As well, she said that there were about 35-40 that only had Serial Numbers and Maker info and no patent dates. She said they were all .45ACP and unassembled.

I would venture that if you called Gun Parts Corp and asked to speak to someone about the receivers, they may still have some Post-Sample receivers laying around!

Good Luck! The great news is that if you were a C3 you could "assemble" a Post 1928 for under $2000, and it would be "factory!"