Matching Lower Serial Number?

My matching Savage '28A1 obviously had the receiver and frame serials stamped with the same dies, probably virtually at the same time. There are no differences in the serials at all, even down to the smallest details of font, depth, and spacing. The serials start with '39'.

Arsenal overhaul frequently left the guns mismatched, but I've never seen arsenal applied matching serials.

There are minor differences in the serials in your photos which would leave me suspicious. The '4' on the receiver looks original and correct, while that on the frame is stamped in a open European style, rather than the typical closed American style. The strike is deep enough so that the difference cannot be attributed to a light strike. It looks like there may be another very faint digit under this '4' on the frame.

No M1928A1s left the factory with pin style pivots and safeties. These first showed up on the later M1s and M1A1s.

None of this is to say that this might not be a very enjoyable gun to own, but it is not original and correct in the details, including the finish.

Yes, the 4's are different. The one on the

receiver has a straight line going from lower

left up to the top of the 4, and the one on

the trgger frame has a radius (arc) so they

are different. I checked a Savage frame here

that has a 4 in the number and it has the

straight line.

If you are asking if the frame has been

"fixed" and renumbered to match the receiver.

my vote would be yes. The radius 4 is exactly

like what you see in the inexpensive hand

stamps sets (we have many sets here) and

the straight four is what you get in more

expensive numbering die sets.

I'm sure there are many here with matching

Savage guns who could check their 4's for you.

Bob

Just the fact that they hide the serial numbers would be enuff to make me distrust these people.... Either they don't own the gun or they don't want any prior owners speaking up would be my guess... There is no other legitimate reason to hide the numbers on a class III gun....

I agree that it looks like the lower was renumbered. In addition to the safety and selector not being correct (as noted by TSMGguy), the front sight appears to be aftermarket and installed in a sloppy manner. The front sight pin is not correct either.

None of this means this gun is not worth owning. You just need to go in with you eyes open.