Reising Data Base

levallois

The BarryinIN post in the poll on Reising proof marks brought home the point that a lot of detail is being left out. So, I'd like to propose that we start to collect and maintain a Reising database with all these little nuances in an Excel spreadsheet that will be available either on this site (I'll talk to Nick I. about this) or for the asking by anyone who is a member of this forum. I would be happy to do this.

If you like this idea, then send me the following info about your gun:

serial number - within a few hundred is fine

general type - military, commercial, or transitional

Proof marks - none. only a P, or a P + letters/numbers and punch mark

Safety switch - downturned ends or upturned ends

Cross pins in stock - yes or no

Finger grooves in stock - yes or no

Knurled take-down nut - yes or no

Barrel type - 26/28 or 14

Finish - blued, parked or can't tell

Swivels - bottom, side or none

Trigger guard - 2 screw or 3 screw

Adjustible screw front sight - yes or no

Magazine well type - 20 round or 12 round

I've already got 14 Reisings in the DB but we need more as only two are privately owned guns - the rest are guns that are for sale on various websites, etc.

I will not put anyone's name with their gun. I know some folks like to keep this stuff private so you can send me a PM rather than post it here if you want.

Thanks!

John

Edited by levallois

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 entries thus far and this only includes 3 private entries from the 17 that are on the poll.

John

texasvwnut,

I got it. I only have 21 entries so far and some are incomplete but PM me again with your email address and I'll send you what I have.

John

Thanks Barry - I used it.

I received my spreadsheet from levallois (John) and a couple questions come to mind. There are large gaps in the serial number ranges.

Specifically from the low 17,000 to high 53,000 range and also a gap between 63,000 and 91,000 range.

Are the guns in the either gap missing due to having being "thrown away" during the August 7, 1942, and February 7, 1943 Guadalcanal campaign?

My Model 50 in the data base is a "late" 111,0XX gun that by it's condition appears to never having left the states during the war. I traced it back to Roger Cox's Law Enforcemnt Ordnance Company so I would expect it came out of a Police Department, but I don't know if it went to a PD during the war or was surplused out to a PD after the war. I received some conflicting years for it first registration in the NFA registry when I did an inguiry follwed by a FOIA request.

Did owners specify if they had a Model 55 vs. Model 50 marked receiver? Thanks for the effort in the data base.

Ross

Ross,

Your conclusions are logical but I think we have to remember that we have an extremely small sample of the guns produced - less than 1 in 4000. Frank Iannamico's book lists serial numbers 19299, 22999, 23040, 35213 and 38574 which narrows the gap a little (now between 38574 and 53700). In addition, he lists 65487 and 81853 (a M55) that narrows the other gap as well. While there are still some large gaps, I think we'll need to see another 50-100 or so more guns before we can start seeing patterns that mean anything.

Having said that - it's still fun to muse a little as long as people realize all may change down the line. Other observations - there is a nice group of 7 guns between 6217 to 11430 that all have just the "P" proof - no other related marks. The P+ with other marks group of 12 guns starts at 53700 to 114310. It's difficult to know where the change from P to P+ occurred because of the gap that Ross has mentioned. Of course it would be nice to know what the single P versus the P with marks means. Based on what I've read here and elasewhere the Marines only took about 46500 Reisings in their orders. This leaves 67817 that were not Marine guns. Which are which? Interesting stuff.

I haven't heard back from Nick Iannamico about pinning the serial number data base here. I'll be away from a computer for a week starting Sunday and will keep trying after the holidays.

Have a happy holiday.

John

hrman,

Thanks for the entry!

We also have our first model 55 - thanks TOD!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Sent you a pm tonight with the requested info... Heres a pic or two...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Notch_2003/reis_full.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Notch_2003/reis_ribs.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Notch_2003/reis_comp.jpg

Edited by Notch

• 1 month later...

Levellois,

I sent you my info re: my Mdl 50, but thought I'd put it out here for the members also, so here goes. The ones marked n/a means I haven't had a chance to dig to the bottom of my safe to check out things and I don't remember w/o looking at it. Will send that along when I get it.

Ser. # 67xx

Commercial type

proof marks n/a

safety - downturned ends and case harderned.

no finger grooves

no cross pins

no takedown nut, just a screw

barrel - 26/28

blued

bottom swivels

trigger guard - n/a

no adjustible sight for front

20 round mag well

Also, as I mentioned to you, I wrote a letter to H&R before they went defunct to get any history. They said the gun was shipped on December 8, 1941 (I wonder what the conversation was about on that day?) to Federal Labs in Salzburg, PA, and assumed it would become a police weapon. Oh yeah, it was also my first SMG, and cost me more than the stamp...$169 in 1975. Coulda got mags for about $5.00 each, but I was "tapped out" aready. I did get 3 20 mags for it a couple of months later. For what they are selling for now, I only wish the other things I invested in appreciated as well as that Reising.

Well, I finally sent the info for mine... SN 107xxx.

The link to the photo album:

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/a...del%2050%20SMG/

The link to get to the two videos:

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/apschreiber/

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/apschreiber/Reising%20Model%2050%20SMG/Reising50andColt1911A1.jpg

Hope this helps.

-Aaron