Erb Vs Wilson

Are there any significate differences between an Erb receiver tube and a Wilson?

Thanks

I've sold a dozen and own a Erb tube. I've never had any complaints from them. If the Wilson and the Erb are made of similar material and made to spec, they should be nearly identical.

I've shot several Wilson MP-40's and they functioned flawlessly! The difference may be in who finishes the gun and how good a job they do. IMHO

I've sold a dozen and own a Erb tube. I've never had any complaints from them. If the Wilson and the Erb are made of similar material and made to spec, they should be nearly identical.

I've shot several Wilson MP-40's and they functioned flawlessly! The difference may be in who finishes the gun and how good a job they do. IMHO

Thanks. I bought a Erb tube gun last month, waiting on the transfer, just wanted to get an opinion on them. This one was finished by Erb many years ago. I bought it so I could retire my original MP40.

Thanks. I bought a Erb tube gun last month, waiting on the transfer, just wanted to get an opinion on them. This one was finished by Erb many years ago. I bought it so I could retire my original MP40.

Charlie Erb does good work....congrats on your second MP-40! (you can never have too many!) ;)

Charlie Erb does good work....congrats on your second MP-40! (you can never have too many!) ;)

Thanks. Is Charlie Erb still alive? I read a death notice not long ago for a Charlie Erb but was not sure if it was this Charlie Erb.

ATF received the paperwork on the 21st of April so I still have a couple of months to go on this one. Got to dig up a bolt, the one in this MP40 is missing.

Thanks. Is Charlie Erb still alive? I read a death notice not long ago for a Charlie Erb but was not sure if it was this Charlie Erb.

ATF received the paperwork on the 21st of April so I still have a couple of months to go on this one. Got to dig up a bolt, the one in this MP40 is missing.

As far as I know, he's still alive!

This might help you out till you find an original bolt

FMP Bolt

As far as I know, he's still alive!

This might help you out till you find an original bolt

FMP Bolt

I wish I had marked that death notice, it was a Charlie Erb in PA.

Are all his tube guns marked in the "e" block serial number range? I have only looked at two but thought it odd that both were "e" block. I thought he might do that since his last name started with E.

I looked at those bolts. I have heard that they work well in tube guns. From the looks of these I may go that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Roscoe, I think, well I hope that Charlie is still around, although I havn't spoken with him in a few years. I do have his his phone number, address and email, but I have not been in recent contact with him. He did outstanding work on all the tubes, (38-40's) that he produced and even added German markings to make them as authentic as possible. Yes, I believe all his tubes had the "E" prefix added to the serial number.

Mike Hammer

Mike,

Thanks. I believe the obituary I first found thinking it was him is possibly his father - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07256/817026-54.stm The survivors list a Charles N. Erb, Jr.

I found his contact information here - http://www.shooting-hunting.com/results.ht...amp;FoundID=350 I may try to get in touch with him next week to see if he will do some work for me.

I appreciate the information regarding the serial number, I did think it a very odd coincidence that the two I had seen both were in the "e" block.

Hopefully it will not be much longer on the transfer but there really isn't a rush, I still have not shot the M1A1 I picked up in Feb. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Wilson 40 and Erbe 41 which both run flawless. Only difference in the 41 exterior finish may be a little rougher and not as polished as the wilson gun. But it still looks great.

I have a Wilson 40 and Erbe 41 which both run flawless. Only difference in the 41 exterior finish may be a little rougher and not as polished as the wilson gun. But it still looks great.

Thanks. I picked up my Erb MP40 this afternoon. When I got home I compared it to my original fxo 41 Mp40 and they were real close. The only issue I came up with was that someone had milled the barrel nut down about 1/8 for some odd ball reason. Fortunately they had put a washer in to make the spacing correct. I put a caliper on it to check the measure and it matched my original 40. The gun came with a complete spare barrel but the threads on the barrel nut were screwed up as it will not go on the receiver. They had almost buggered up the extensions on the receiver trying to force it on. Why some folks take the blacksmith approach to firearms is beyond me.

Now I am in search of a very good condition barrel nut.

Milled Barrel Nut?

My bet is that at some time (after WWII) the parts kit (or at least the barrel nut) was part of a DEWATTED MP40. Sometimes, part of the DEWATTING proceedure involved welding the barrel nut to the receiver tube, so as to not be able to change the barrel (which also had been DEWATTED by welding/soldering a metal plug inside the bore).

I have also seen the barrel welded to the barrel trunnion from the inside of the receiver to accomplish the same result.

And I have seen the bolt welded to the receiver tube from the bottom, via the mag well opening.

I doubt that is the case here, the barrel is in perfect condition only the bottom radius of the nut has been milled. Finish and wear on both match the gun. Having seen how the previous owner blank adapted other guns this really comes as no surprise. I believe the previous owner would work on his guns then go ask someone how he should have gone about it.

The replacement barrel had been screwed on incorrectly so hard that it took a wrench and a wood mallet to remove that nut from the receiver.

• 2 weeks later...
Great gun!....I got my Erb-MP-40 in 1992, and it's serial number ends with an (e) also. Good shooting, and bring it to the Jungle Walk for the next (dryer) shoot!...bh

• 2 weeks later...
Great gun!....I got my Erb-MP-40 in 1992, and it's serial number ends with an (e) also. Good shooting, and bring it to the Jungle Walk for the next (dryer) shoot!...bh

I met a fellow the other day that had Erb 363e, only three numbers off from mine.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...