Pictures Reising M50

diblaja

Here is the Reising M50 I just received. It is serial # S.51xx. The Justice Dept. FOIA sent me the following information on this gun: H&R registered the weapon in December 1967 on a Form II. The gun was transferred in 1974 and again in Feb. 2008 ( my dealer) and then in June 2008 to me. So Im the third owner of this gun. My dealer said the first owner put the Reising in his safe and never opened the box --it remained there until my dealer bought it this year. He said was the first to open the box and the gun does indeed looked un-used. I had the gun out at fired in SA mode and I've had some problems which I addressed in another Post. Im looking forward to having this gun run !!!

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/d.../reisingSM1.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq103/d.../ReisingSM6.jpg

Interesting, I also did a FOIA on my gun, serial # S51XX and was submitted by H&R for Treasury registration 9/12/56, it then went out on a form 3 - 6/18/84, one more form 3 transfer, then to me on a form 4 (C&R) in 2006. When I purchased the gun, it had the sling swivels on the right side, had the original sling with rust marks, gun was easily 95%+ with the dark green / gray parkerizing. I purchased some additional mags, look for some Ken Christie 30 rounders, they work great. Bought some additional parts from The Dealers Showroom / John Bush (some people have had a negative experience) but I got everything I needed in a very timely manner. The only thing that had to be done to my gun, was modify a part with a dremel so that it will fire FA in both the semi and FA, yeah, I know - but it is the law in Connecticut that everything fire FA (no select fire) but we can still own class III weapons, which beats NY & NJ :rolleyes: Edited by bm59collector

Interesting, I also did a FOIA on my gun, serial # S51XX and was submitted by H&R for Treasury registration 9/12/56, it then went out on a form 3 - 6/18/84, one more form 3 transfer, then to me on a form 4 (C&R) in 2006. When I purchased the gun, it had the sling swivels on the right side, had the original sling with rust marks, gun was easily 95%+ with the dark green / gray parkerizing. I purchased some additional mags, look for some Ken Christie 30 rounders, they work great. Bought some additional parts from The Dealers Showroom / John Bush (some people have had a negative experience) but I got everything I needed in a very timely manner. The only thing that had to be done to my gun, was mofify a part with a dremel so that it will fire FA in both the semi and FA, yeah, I know - but it is the law in Connecticut that everything fire FA (no select fire) but we can still own class III weapons, which beats NY & NJ :rolleyes:

Sure is strange how H&R registered their guns within the same serial # range over such a long time frame. The park on my Reising was bone dry and was much lighter grey than the picture shows. I have since oiled it and now the finish appears to be a dark grey. I would have to say the finish is 100% as the only flaw that I could find was a small scratch on the compensator. As I said in a prevoius Post I had a case separation which is caused by excessive headsapce or out-of battery ignition. I'm goint to change out the springs and give it another go --- You live in an precarious pro-gun area --- at least Connecticut, Vermont, and Maine are still good gun states -- though I don't know about New Hampshire -- However NY, NJ and MA sure do need some pro-gun legislators voted in !!!!

diblaja,

If you're looking for some of the 30 round magazines, I think Ohio Ordnance is the only current source.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/parts/magazines.html

I bought a couple of them from OO, and they work great!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David

Thanks for the heads up --- I bought two from OO a little while ago they very well made ---- so far I only used them in SA mode. I have a Wolfe sping kit on order and I'll give them a work out after the springs are changed out.

Mine is S53XX. It looks exactly like yours diblaja. I switched out my 12 round magazine guide for a 20 round one.

diblaja, does your have a metal butt plate or a plastic one? It looks like metal from the second picture. Recently I read somewhere that when Numrich was selling these they ran out of original stocks and had to make some. This source indicated that those stocks had plastic butt plates. Interesting.

In any case, you have a very nice Reising package. Best of luck getting her running correctly.

BTW, the 30 round mags from OO are very nice indeed.

Edited by texasvwnut

Mine is S53XX. It looks exactly like yours diblaja. I switched out my 12 round magazine guide for a 20 round one.

diblaja, does your have a metal butt plate or a plastic one? It looks like metal from the second picture. Recently I read somewhere that when Numrich was selling these they ran out of original stocks and had to make some. This source indicated that those stocks had plastic butt plates. Interesting.

In any case, you have a very nice Reising package. Best of luck getting her running correctly.

BTW, the 30 round mags from OO are very nice indeed.

Texasvwnut, mine is a metal butt plate. I'm still confused as to when my gun was actually made though from what i've pieced together so far it sounds like its post WWII production. Its great all the bits of info im picking up about the Reising such as Numerich selling these. I haven't received my copy of Frank Iannamico's Reising book yet. One of the main reasons I bought this gun is for its historic value and its a really cool machinegun!!

btw Im in DFW area.

Numrich picked up all the remaing 50's when H&R went bankrupt (timeframe 84/86). They then listed them in the Shotgun News for princely sum of $550 - someone recently posted the ad on one of the boards, God, I wish I could have gone back in time. BTW, Ken Christie announced a month ago that he was back in business as Christie Enterprises down in FL. The last 2 original 20 round magazines I found on evil-bay, somehow the individual got creative in the listing and by a fluke I found them before they got pulled. My form 4 says that the gun was made in Gardner, MA rather than Worcester where H&R's main location was. I know that S&W has picked up all the H&R stuff, and recently closed whatever facility was located in Gardner.

I bought one of the Numrich replacement stocks in about 1995, to save wear & tear on the orig.

It has plastic H&R buttplate, and no cross bolts. They were pretty nice wood too, for $75.00.

diblaja, another good Frank Iannamico book to get is, "United States Submachie Guns; From The American 180 To Th ZX-7". There is a lot of Reising information is this book also. In this book, Frank states that there were several production runs of Reisings in the following years:

In 1950, H&R produced 872 guns from serial number K101 - K973.

In 1951, H&R produced 3,488 guns from serial numbers L101 - L3589.

In 1953, H&R produced 216 guns from serial numbers N111 - N327.

In 1957, H&R produced 907 guns from serial numbers S4700 - S5607.

Frank also states that many of the M50s that were purchased by Numrich in 1986 were brand new and some were not completely assembled (missing some parts). Numrich completed these guns and sold the M50s in Shotgun News. Frank includes in the book an add from Shotgun News where Numrich offering these M50s for $125.00. Those were the days!

BTW, my Form 4 on S53XX states, "Worcester, MA"

diblaja, another good Frank Iannamico book to get is, "United States Submachie Guns; From The American 180 To Th ZX-7". There is a lot of Reising information is this book also. In this book, Frank states that there were several production runs of Reisings in the following years:

In 1950, H&R produced 872 guns from serial number K101 - K973.

In 1951, H&R produced 3,488 guns from serial numbers L101 - L3589.

In 1953, H&R produced 216 guns from serial numbers N111 - N327.

In 1957, H&R produced 907 guns from serial numbers S4700 - S5607.

Frank also states that many of the M50s that were purchased by Numrich in 1986 were brand new and some were not completely assembled (missing some parts). Numrich completed these guns and sold the M50s in Shotgun News. Frank includes in the book an add from Shotgun News where Numrich offering these M50s for $125.00. Those were the days!

BTW, my Form 4 on S53XX states, "Worcester, MA"

Thanks so much for this post !!! I sent off to the FIOA to get the date of manufacture of my M50 and the data I got back still didn't answer that question. Though the FIOA did show my M50 was registered on a Form 2 in 1967 and transferred in an individual ( Form 4 ? ) in 1974 it then looks like mine was not one that was sold by Numrich. Also thanks for pointing out United States Submachie Guns -- I'll have to get this book too!

• 2 months later...

diblaja.

Would you mind providing the following info on your Reising so I can add it to the data base?

All proof marks

cross pins in stock or not

finger groove stock or not

knurled take down nut or not

barrel fin number - 14 or 28

finish - blued or parked

sling swivels or not and where

trigger guard type - 2 or 3 screw

adjustment screw on front site or not

push button safety type - upturned or downturned

mag well type - 12 or 20

other comments