Reising Magazine Data Collection - Please Contribute Your Data

dalbert

• 6 months later...

Just got back from the SAR show . Picked up 6 more mags to add to the list.

4 more 12-rounders , all with 3 holes in front and rd. disk in rear.

2 parked , std lips , no NE , BUT , both have an "F" stamped on the lower left guide rail

2 parked , folded lips , NE-9

2 more 20-rounders , both blued , 2 holes in front , rd disk in rear , std lips , 5 holes in side , no NE.

I can pull and check the earlier 2 for the "F" if you want , have not noticed it before.

Chris

Just got back from the SAR show . Picked up 6 more mags to add to the list.

4 more 12-rounders , all with 3 holes in front and rd. disk in rear.

2 parked , std lips , no NE , BUT , both have an "F" stamped on the lower left guide rail

2 parked , folded lips , NE-9

2 more 20-rounders , both blued , 2 holes in front , rd disk in rear , std lips , 5 holes in side , no NE.

I can pull and check the earlier 2 for the "F" if you want , have not noticed it before.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the additional data. I have not noticed the "F" marking before.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Mr. Albert:

I have a Model 50 that I bought 25 years ago that once belonged to the LA County Sheriff's Department according to Mr. Iannamico's book.

I have a total of 6 magazines. 2-12 round & 4-20 round.

1-12 round parkerized and unmarked.

1-12 round blue and marked NE-3

1-20 round blue unmarked and no witness holes.

1-20 round blue unmarked with 5 witness holes.

2-20 round blue marked NE-1 with no witness holes. However the blueing is very bright, the same color as S&W pistols made years ago. They also appear to be in unused condition. They were in a 5 cell Marine Corp pouch that is in the same condition.

Regards, Jeffrey K

Greetings:

This is the first post I have made on the Reising Board. Here is the marking information from the 9 Reising magazines I own:

-- Number of 20 rd. magazines owned: 4

-- Number of 20 rd. magazines with NE markings: 1

-- Exact NE marking: "NE 1"

-- Other info about the 20 rd. mags: The 3 unmarked mags have five witness holes on the LH side, the single NE 1 marked mag has no holes on the LH side.

-- Number of 12 rd. magazines owned: 5

-- Number of 12 rd. magazines with NE markings: 5

-- Exact NE markings: 3 mags with "NE 4", 1 mag with "NE 7", 1 mag with "NE 9"

-- Other info about the 12 rd. mags: All 5 mags have the phosphate finish. Only the single, NE 9 marked mag has the folded feed lips, the other 4 do not.

Greetings:

This is the first post I have made on the Reising Board. Here is the marking information from the 9 Reising magazines I own:

-- Number of 20 rd. magazines owned: 4

-- Number of 20 rd. magazines with NE markings: 1

-- Exact NE marking: "NE 1"

-- Other info about the 20 rd. mags: The 3 unmarked mags have five witness holes on the LH side, the single NE 1 marked mag has no holes on the LH side.

-- Number of 12 rd. magazines owned: 5

-- Number of 12 rd. magazines with NE markings: 5

-- Exact NE markings: 3 mags with "NE 4", 1 mag with "NE 7", 1 mag with "NE 9"

-- Other info about the 12 rd. mags: All 5 mags have the phosphate finish. Only the single, NE 9 marked mag has the folded feed lips, the other 4 do not.

Jeffrey K and Dixie Triggerman,

Thank you for the additional data. I'm getting very close to my sample data goal of 200 Reising magazines.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found these mags along with s/n 160 tucked away at the office.

2 - NE-7 12 round

1 - NE-9 12 round

All three are Parked, have 3 holes on the front (1 high, 2 low), all have the large circle thingy and have folded feed lips

Also have a blued 20 rounder that looks just like a TSMG mag with 5 small witness holes on the left. No NE marks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
All,

I'd like to learn more about the relative number of "NE" marked Reising magazines. These were apparently manufactured by a cooperative association of New England Small Arms companies, and are less common than Reising magazines without the "NE" markings. My intention is to document the various markings, as well as how many exist as a percentage in a sample Reising magazine population. This data could potentially be used in a future writing project.

If you look at the front of Reising 12 and 20-round magazines, most will only have the H&R address and Reising Submachine Gun markings located in the middle of the magazine. However, some have markings such as "NE-1," or "NE-9" at the bottom of the magazine front. This is what I'm interested in documenting further.

The marking appears on both 12 and 20 round magazines, as shown in the pictures below. It is a bit difficult to see, but the middle two magazines have the "NE" markings, with the middle left 20-round magazine being marked "NE-1," and the middle right 12-round magazine being marked "NE-9." I have 7 Reising magazines of the 12 and 20-round variety in my collection, so two were marked in this fashion.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/MagazinesNE-1_web.JPG

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/MagazinesNE-2_web.JPG

Here's what I would like to document: (Numbers and markings are example data from my collection)

Number of 20 round magazines owned or examined: 5

Number of 20 round magzines with "NE" markings: 1

Exact "NE" marking: "NE-1"

Number of 12 round magazines owned or examined: 2

Number of 12 round magzines with "NE" markings: 1

Exact "NE" marking: "NE-9"

I will make this data available to anyone who is interested. If you would like to participate, please either post your data in this thread, or you can e-mail it to me at my address listed below.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I magazine just arrived with new rifle marked NE-9.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

(5) twenty round H&R mags, all marked NE-1 and in pretty good shape. Received case and mags today, the PD Commercial 50 is pending.

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

I have a 12-rd mag marked NE-8

All,

I appreciate everyone's input with this thread so far. I just wanted to mention that if you don't have any "NE" marked Reising magazines, for instance if you have 3 Reising 20 round mags, and they are all blank, you can still participate with your data. This will help to keep the statistical analysis of the total magazine population accurate.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

REI_MAGS_lores.jpg

All,

Here are the latest results of the Reising NE magazine data collection. I want to thank everyone who submitted their observations, and I'm still working on the article where I will include these results. Any comments on the data trends are welcomed. There are 225 magazines represented in the data below.

NEMagData082910.JPG

Frank Iannamico is researching the consortium of companies during WWII that made up the NESA, which apparently manufactured these Reising magazines, as well as the Browning Automatic Rifle. Frank indicated I could post the following from his research to date on NESA:

"I believe that NE represents NESA, New England Small Arms. This was a group of 6 different companies in the New England area formed during WWII. Their primary product was the BAR. Many BAR barrels were marked NE-7 and some components marked NE-3, NE-5 etc. The companies of NESA were believed to be; A.G. Spalding, American Type Founder, Blake Manufacturing Corp, Elliot Addressing Machine Company, International Silver and National Blank Book. I THINK each contractor was assigned an NE-? designation. NE-7 was used for NESA (?) HOWEVER further confusing the issue is all of these companies used subcontractors."

Many thanks to Frank Iannamico for this information, and to all here who have perpetuated the interest.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...