Greasing a new reproduction L drum

Looking through the pivot hole on the drum, there appears to be no opening for the grease to get into the rotor spring chamber. There is a cross pin in there but no other holes to the inside.

How do you get grease in there?

Does it get forced between the pivot and the rotor?

Edited by Nineteenhundred

The greaser that was going around that a lot of us used was Deerslayer's . I don't know where it is now last I heard it was back with him.

Frank

If we're discussing the excellent Taiwanese reproductions, it should be remembered that these were not greased during production and using them without greasing will cause them to wear out very quickly.

If nobody knows where it is I've got one here that I made some time which could be loaned out. Sort of thing you only use once, and then wait until someone else wants one.

http://www.fototime.com/A0378FA3C762B22/standard.jpg

I think mine might be back in the shop. I'll try to see if I can find it. I know it came back about a year ago, and I know it went back out, but I forget if it came back.... I'll take a look this weekend. Be happy to send it back out again as a board fund raiser.

Dan

I used just plain old wheel bearing grease the first time around. That was a mistake. After about five years the stuff began to break down, running all over the drum, inside and out, and making a fine mess.

Edited by TSMGguy

Guest title ii

NLGI 1.5 viscosity lithium based grease.

Chris

Does anyone happen to have a photo of what this stuff looks like.

Also after how many rounds through a drum should greasing be done? Is this greasing schedule any different for other types of drums? Khar C drums & other auto ordnance L drums?

That brings up the question of:

How do you clean out the old grease if you need to completely refresh it?

Just pump in the new grease until it's displaced all of the old. You'll know that this has happened when all that you're seeing is fresh, clean, new grease being forced out of the drum's internals.

Edited by TSMGguy

Maybe when Vill28 is done with it he can pass it on, and you can send it back here.

I would like to get my name on the list of rotation for the drum greaser. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Curl

Maybe when Vill28 is done with it he can pass it on, and you can send it back here.

I would like to get my name on the list of rotation for the drum greaser. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Curl

Send me a PM, you can use mine if you still need one. Jim

Thanks,

Curl

Grease,Bearing

Item # 4ZF48

Synthetic Bearing Grease, Cartridge, Product Head Mobilith® SHC® PM 460, 13.7 oz.NLGI Grade 1.5, Color Off-White

MOBIL

MOBILITH SHC PM 460

3833 Typically in Stock http://images.grainger.com/B388_33/images/icon_help.gif

$19.78
See All: Greases
http://images.grainger.com/B388_33/images/rating-0_0.gif Be the first to write a review
Manufacturer:
EXXONMOBIL
  • Specialty Greases and Lubricants
  • Mobillith SHC
  • Formulated with a lithium complex soap thickener. No. 4ZF48 is for extreme pressure applications. Resists consistency change when contaminated with water. (ISO 460 synthetic). No. 4ZF49 is for grease-lubricated rolling-element bearings in electric motors (ISO 100 synthetic).
Technical Specifications:

Item Synthetic Bearing Grease Type Cartridge Product Head Mobilith® SHC® PM 460 Size 13.7 oz. NLGI Grade 1.5 Color Off-White Temp. Range -40 to 350 Degrees F Dropping Point 475 Degrees F Application Combines Synthetic Base Fluid with Lithium Complex Soap Thickener

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0cci6

HTH , Chris

rader,

PM sent. Thanks to all.

Curl

Thanks,

Curl

Send me a PM, you can use mine if you still need one. Jim

>I would like to get my name on the list of rotation for the drum greaser. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Curl