Mystery 1928 vertical grip

gregg877,

The SILE grips are probably the closest copies to the original Colt and Savage vertical grips. They are, however, reproductions, believed to be made in the 1960's, if I remember correctly. Sutton Coffman did an article on original vs. reproduction grips in a edition of The American Thompson Association newsletter. Maybe one of the other Board members will remember which edition it was. The SILE grip is about the best reproduction you are going to find.

Here is a previous thread on the subject. Scroll down for information on the SILE Thompson grips.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25402

Edited by gijive

At one time a guy had some in shotgun news for $50 bucks. Yes the fun days of a phone call or a money order to the source.no text or email.Or when you made a appt to go travel to see a Thompson, since a black and white polaroid was not cutting it.

that will take you guys back to the 70's for sure.by 1989 we stepped up. Glad you found the grip you needed. AND LOOKS NEW.

RON K.

I have one that came with my first '28.

Absolutely love it. Great control and looks cool.

That said, my second '28 came with one made by Dan Block and although it's swept back a couple degrees more than the Sile, it feels better to my hand.