Neil Smith M14 Transferable Conversions

-JC-

Does anyone know how many M14's Neil Smith converted and registered before 86?

I just purchased one, and now I'm curious about how many are out there.

This one is a Springfield M1A, and was originally misidentified as a factory M14 before double checking paperwork to see that Neil had done the registration.

Is Neil still alive and working in the industry? I couldn't find much information about him online.

• Upvote 1

He's not an "online" guy. The only m14's I've seen from him were all cut and welded guns? There are a bunch. The one's I've seen were cut right in half and his guy did a heck of a job welding them back together......excellent work and not noticeable unless you open the action and inspect very carefully.

Would someone who is going to knob creek be able to ask him if he has any information on how many he manufactured?

Or is there a phone number or contact information for him available? I'd love to chat with him.

Edited by -JC-

I spoke with him yesterday, I asked him how many, he just said "It was a lot".

He also noted that his armor did such an excellent job on the conversions, that all parts were interchangeable, there were NO "Custom" fitted parts.

He is a great man to visit with. I always greatly enjoy our conversations.

Edited by Colt Chopper

Thank you all for the information.

I'm curious to know if the smaller manufacturers who registered and welded M1a receivers could have possibly made more than Smith Ent, or Springfield Armory.

It seems not many M14/M1a registered guns are out there.

There are a good number of guns out there and of the welded together guns the Swalwell would be the one to get if you're inclined to purchase a welded gun. Several others tried it and failed. Springfield likely made the most, several hundred and a few of the Devine TX springfields were converted as well but as I understand not by them. There are numbers somewhere on Smith enterprises (might be 100 or so or less from memory?) Lots of one offs made by various people back in the day, but springfield was by far the most dominant converter followed by Smith ent., then probably Neil Smith.

There are plenty of guns, but mostly collectors buy and hold them since they are not a big hit with "shooters" so they don't sell that frequently vs. the quantity out there. Two of mine are set up specially for reduced recoil, free float match barrels, and shoot sub 1/2 MOA with a QD suppressor and federal 168g match. There's just no other MG package out there that has that capability? I have pvs-22 I can clip on the front and do it at night too. I'm a big fan of the platform, but I think a full auto AR-10 could be close if properly set up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...