Any California Thompson Owners

I lived in Commiefornia and could not wait to leave.

After I left I found much opportunity in to enhance my firearm collection..

Regarding California Thompson ownership, I found this story linked here some time ago.

It is an interesting, amusing, sad (header) story, hope you find it as interesting as I did.

http://www.sl-prokeys.com/thompson/thompson.htm

• Upvote 1

Yes, but only with special permission and that is almost always given ONLY to corporations and NOT to individuals.

I once saw a list of owned machine guns in Cali and was surprised to see that the list exceeded that of many other states.

Legislation made new ownership illegal except with special permission--that won't be given except to the Hollywood corporations.

The individuals on that list are all grandfathered in before the ban on new ownership of machine guns. They also are

not transferable and must be sold and removed from the state upon the death of the owner in the case of private individuals.

Edited by T Hound

Hmmm,

Guess that makes California a "Donor" state. :D

Wonder if they'll put that on your Driver's license. I need to get on the Donor wait list!

Sandman1957

Free State of VA.

probably was in a more friendly locale then Los Angeles. I know Sean Penn has one, but he has the bucks to pay the politicians. There are a few more. Otis Chanler from the LA Times also had one and a sawed of shotgun that his grandfather used in a Newspaper strike. Always found that funny since the Times has always been anti gun. Edited by Paladin601

I recently saw where Sean Penn agreed to have his firearm collection rendered unusable and made into a work of art. Evidently this was at the request of his new girlfriend, Charlize Theron. I wonder if that includes the Thompson and it means another one permanently removed from the registry?

How did they accomplish it? I have been told it is impossible.

And can you own a more then 10 rd magazine for it?

The magazines are the easy part. As long as you possessed them prior to Jan 1st, 2000they are perfectly legal to own and use. Stick to vintage Thompson mags that you already owned ( :ph34r: ) and you'll be fine. The full auto gun on the other hand...

Well it is good to be a leftist, rich, Hollywood type. The rest of us poor slobs eat cake.

Edited by T Hound

Quote. The magazines are the easy part. As long as you possessed them prior to January 1st, 2000 they are perfectly legal to own and use. Unquote.

Believe me, the liberal - progressive cali legislators here are trying to end even grandfathered 30 rounders--of which I have three.

Edited by T Hound

Hearing that anti-gun, anti-American Theron is causing a full-auto Thompson to be destroyed just boils my blood!

What is wrong with the quote button? It doesn't seem to be working.

Edited by T Hound

I'm using explorer as my web browser--is that yours?

I've been having quote button and other problems for a while. Dalbert thinks it is due to the web browser I am using.

I'm using explorer as my web browser--is that yours?

I am using Explorer, no problems with quotes Edited by Paladin601

Yup, quote button still not working.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am Steve Leigh, the former owner of a 1921A in pristine condition - and more accessories than anyone would ever imagine.

My Thompson is long gone - I sold it to finance opening my business in Florida. I know who has it, and what he paid for it.

But I'd like to say something (please excuse my CAPS and other emphasis)

I OBEYED THE LAW. I DID WHATEVER I WAS TOLD TO COMPLY WITH ANY/ALL REGULATIONS. When I first obtained it - 1976 - many BATF agents - friends - enjoyed going out to PRIVATE property - owned by the father of a Class III dealer (who was also my part-time business partner at that time) - and having a great time burning up ammo with us.

I OBEYED THE LAW. Top to bottom - start to finish.

And my reward for being a law abiding citizen with a Thompson is clearly explained in a previous link to my website. But here it is again:

http://www.sl-prokeys.com/studio-ca/studio.htm#thompson

I will NEVER understand why. Why LOCAL police would even CONSIDER seizing my Thompson, AFTER the BATF agents (3 of them) made it perfectly clear that THEY would have seized the Thompson AND TAKEN ME INTO FEDERAL CUSTODY if I had broken ANY law. No - I just don't understand .... and probably never will.

Years ago, I had ultimate respect for law enforcement.

Now, they just frighten me. Far too much power - whether it's appropriate or not.

So - I just want to stay far away from ALL law enforcement. I'd LOVE to have a 1921A again - but no longer have the courage to face "POSSIBILITIES". After what I've been through, I think it's understandable.

Best to you all,

Steve

www.sl-prokeys.com

http://www.sl-prokeys.com/studio-ca/studio.htm#thompson

Edited by Steve Leigh