The Spammers are Trying to Get Through to Machinegunboards.com

Over the past 5 days, I've had about 40 registration attempts from spammers. All but 6 or so have been recognized by the spam detection software built into the forum. I changed one of the challenge questions, but that didn't seem to help. I might have to make very difficult challenge questions, and continue to manually vet every registrant in the meantime. I have always manually approved each registrant, but I usually just glanced at the name and e-mail, and approved it. Now I have to do a web search of each IP address, user name, and e-mail address, and in some cases, I send an e-mail with a request for more information. I have not had this many spam registration attempts in many years.

Anyway, I apologize in advance if a spammer gets through. If you are reading this as a legitimate registrant that may not have been approved, please send me an e-mail proving you have some interest and knowledge of the subject, and I will manually approve you.

Thanks,

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I just had 66 new member registration requests, 61 of which were spammers. The forum software automatically caught 55 of them.

I changed 2 of the challenge questions to hopefully throw them off for a while...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

I'm getting a bunch of " brain buster pills" from all over. Anyone else . Pills to help brain function. toss it in my Spam.

It is a constant problem, I have to research each attempt to join on the three Facebook pages I operate. Fake names, people with overtly political opinions that do not belong in the discussions and so on, it is a constant job keeping a forum operating in a civil manner.