M1A1 Shooting 1 to 2 Rounds After Release Trigger, & 2 Other Quest

Hi Folks, I have a M1a1 that I just got, and went out to shoot it. In semi mode, it works perfectly. In Full mode however,

It shoots one ,maybe two extra rounds after I remove my finger from the triigger. Does anyone have any ideas?

ALso serial number is 327427. How do I find out who made it and when?

I appreciate all the help since I am new at this .Also, the wood is horrible. Anyone have any wood sets for sale??

Thanks

Haris

Edited by Haris357

When shooting OB SMG do not release the trigger slowly.

Old oil left sitting for years, can dry out hard as varnish.

Pull the lower. Pull the trigger. release the trigger. The sear should pop right up , with no delay.

Give the lower a deep clean. Dissemble, soak and scrub. New spring set won't hurt.

Edited by timkel

Thanks guys, I was shooting 230 ball factory. I disassembled upper- that was easy-squirted carb cleaner from spray can into lower and oiled and reassembled. need to try to shoot it again.I am kinda afraid to tackle lower disassembly. I will watch u tube video..Anyone recommend what parts to order to tune up this old girl.? It looks rough but its really smooth. Its seen lots of use

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/Q8UiTS.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/OqdQTy.jpg

Edited by Haris357

It is really quit easy to disassemble the lower. I would get the video from AGI about the Thompson. It covers it all in detail. Just do not put a screw driver to relieve the spring tension on the pivot plate the way they do. In the meantime, take the wood off of the trigger housing and put it into a sonic cleaner if you have one. If you don't they are not that expensive. I got one at harbor freight that was on sale and they allowed the use of a 20% off coupon plus gave me a 5x7 tarp for the purchase. It really works well. I use diluted simple green pro hd, its purple.

As to who made it and when: I dont know of a way to find that just by serial number, but guessing 1943. The factory is indicated by small letter(s) on the bottom side between the magazine and the grip mount, either 'S' for Savage or 'AO' for Auto Ordnance in Bridgeport. If marked 'US Property' on the top of the receiver in one line, it was AO. Savage marked 'US' on one line and 'Property' underneath. Both Savage and AO-made guns were marked Auto Ordnance, Bridgeport on the right side.

If you really want better wood, look at Gunpartscorp and Sarco. (Just an opinion, but if the wood looks too good it could detract from the, ummm patina of the metal. Have you considered cleaning the wood first?)

In any event, congratulations

Hi Folks, I have a M1a1 that I just got, and went out to shoot it. In semi mode, it works perfectly. In Full mode however,

It shoots one ,maybe two extra rounds after I remove my finger from the triigger. Does anyone have any ideas?

ALso serial number is 327427. How do I find out who made it and when?

I appreciate all the help since I am new at this .Also, the wood is horrible. Anyone have any wood sets for sale??

Thanks

Haris

I had a pair of WHs that started doing this . Replaced all the internals , twice . Finally switched lowers with a friend , cured the problem . Bought two stripped military lowers , had them refinished , installed the old parts , they worked fine and still do to this day . Got most of my money back by selling the old lowers to semi-auto owners that wanted the two lever look , they worked fine for that . I'd only do this if all else fails .

Chris

Go get a ultrasonic cleaner. remove the lower from the upper, remove the buttstock and fill the cleaner about 1/3 full of Simple Green. Put in your lower for about 1-2 minutes. Remove it, wipe it out and oil it good. You will be surprised how much old crud will fall out of it. Have fun with it.

Can't overemphasize how important this is: On Thompsons, you can't "pussyfoot" the trigger. Think of the trigger as a switch. Forget squeezing. Pull it hard and fast, as far to the rear as it will go, and release it quickly. See how shooting goes using this technique before going to a lot or trouble with anything else.

Edited by TSMGguy